Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A truck tried to park in this basement while runnin' bout 50 mph. Most of the damage is to the foundation wall. The framing, from what I've seen so far, came out pretty good all things considered. I still need to inspect it closer to make sure.
I need to support the rear of the house so that the mason can tear out the back wall & rebuild it.
I thinkin' I should use 2" x 6"s @ 16" (a stud wall) the full length of what the mason is gonna remove. The wall cracked all the way to the second window.
Figured this might interest y'all a little.

By the way, the kid walked away with just a bump on his head...........LUCKY!

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Yeah, it's an old house. Built bout the 60's I think.
Yeah, back then, on this side of the
Mississippi, we pretty much expected
that our gravity would always point down. :cheesygri

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Yeah, back then, on this side of the
Mississippi, we pretty much expected
that our gravity would always point down. :cheesygri

Actually we still expect it to be pointed down and turned on. :clap:

I bet a bag of donut holes the steel and grout are in the wall where the dirt is against it.:thumbsup:

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just make sure you put the studs directly under the joists. And put a rack brace on it. Or 2.
My thoughts exactly!

The slab was poured bout 10 years ago, it's a full 4" thick with gravel underneath so I'm think I'm good on that.

The house was built cuttin' corners so........no ladder wire & as you can see, the framing ain't even attached to the foundation, there's no plate.

I just looked at it closer, the framing is good! Unbelievable! :eek:

It did shift the back corner of the house bout an inch though.

·
Carpenter
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No alcohol detected, just a STUPID 18yr old kid! Yeah, he was airborne, he hit the house first which shifted it 1 inch then took out the foundation. He decapitated the old Ford, took the cab clean off.

·
4,617 Posts
Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars. Oak tree you're in my way...

Testosterone and gasoline... A deadly combination. Just ask Cruz Pedregon.:w00t:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts