Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an addition 1 1/2 years ago, wood frame, tyvek, vinyl windows and vinyl siding. We had a problem with mositure from a driving hours long rain storm, moisture seeped through and you could tell that the grout was changing color along the exterior wall, but no actual water was visible. We rechecked everything and added more caulk. It's been 1 1/2 years, had another driving rain storm recently and the homeowner has called once again, same reason. This time we have removed the vinyl siding and checked the windows to insure all was caulked correctly, all is good, but to be on the safe side, we recaulked.

I looking for suggestions, I absolutely want my customer to be satisfied and yes I know it's been over a year, but I too want this to be right. Any suggestions to determine where to look for the moisture to penetrate would be most helpful.

·
Registered
560 Posts
How where the windows installed? What sealing methods were used? Where all was caulk put?

Is it possible that the leak is somewhere else than the window? Getting through the siding and vapor barrier than a crack in the sheeting?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Caulk is not the be-all, end-all answer.

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.