Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Try it again Mark all I get is a white screen.

Did it fall into a snow drift?:laughing:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
:thumbsup:

Lucky almost everyone was gone. Dad was in the basement.......cutting floor joists??:whistling

·
FairfaxGC
47 Posts
Lucky almost everyone was gone. Dad was in the basement.......cutting floor joists??:whistling

Isn't that one of the first things you do before starting an addition?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
We saved enough money by having the handy man repair the foundation that we could................................

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:thumbsup:

My first thought too....

That looks like a pretty substantial house! How old do you think it is?
Probably 1900-1920s

Isn't that one of the first things you do before starting an addition?
Yea, the type that people do without permits who have no clue what they are doing...

We saved enough money by having the handy man repair the foundation that we could................................
....afford to build a new house? :w00t:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Termites...Big termites.

Reactions: stp57

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wow-Anythings possible-I guess-The house looks like it was very solid? The roof line doesn't looked sagged. Would like to know the answer when you find out. I was also thinking a big chunk of ice came off that roof all at once & hit the Porch roof.
Last year I had a job of rebuilding a 8 x 16 deck that had collapsed when ice came off the roof & landed on it. The deck was about 5 ft off the ground. This place did not have a lot of pitch & the drop was only about 8 ft. The decking was 2 x6 treated & the joists were only 2 x 6 treated but doubled up every 4 ft & they were completly busted/ shattered in the middle of the deck. They didn't have enough support under it-but I was still in awe of what damage this ice caused ...............-

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
"Older structures often had what were called fire cuts on the ends of the floor joists and roof rafters. The ends of the joists and rafters were cut at a slope before being inserted into the exterior bearing walls. If the joists or rafters were to collapse inward as a result of a fire, the sloped cuts at each end theoretically prevented the joists or rafters from acting as a lever causing the masonry wall above the insertion point from collapsing."

This was not a fire, but removing joists or support for joists can produce the same problem. Joists may have been set in pockets in the brick, without fire cut ends.

Is is a photo of joists with angled fire cut ends:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts