Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm trying to finish up a drawing of mine for my room addition but my section doesn't seem correct. In the pictures I've put here, you can see that the roof rafter doesn't have enough wood to be nailed into the ceiling joist.

I'm stuck, not sure what to make of this or how to correct this. I can't lower the ridge of the roof because than the point highlighted won't match on the elevation plan.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Can you raise the ceiling so you can do a normal heel connection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the close up of the rafter to the wall is wrong. I showed that to show that at 8'-0" the ceiling doesn't work for me.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
You should probably consult a carpenter, architect, engineer, or a code book (which has proper drawings).

·
Eater of sins.
4,611 Posts
I can't raise the ceiling height unfortunately or else the city will require calculations.

Scipio - Really? I drew the detail. I used it a long time ago during college.
Yes it is wrong, even if the intention was to cut the bird's mouth and set it on the CJ there is no prescriptive treatment for that. an engineered solution would be required. I do not see engineering on it.
Normal situation is for the RR to set on the top plate. Old school was to toe-nail to top plate, then changed to something like an H-2.5, or other tie.

Which is much better in my opinion.

Andy.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Raise the wall height for a proper birds mouth. Or use a deeper rafter. How is the rafter fastened in that drawing and what exactly is it bearing on?

·
Designer/Contractor
4,985 Posts
Or change the pitch on the rafter to have it, as pointed out, sit on the top plate as it's supposed to do, not resting on the blocking; the detail you have is incorrect, won't work and there is way for shear transfer to happen.

Also you should consider getting someone who understands framing design to help with your plans and explain to you what the components are and how they work.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
If you can't raise the ceiling, which I do at any opportunity, raise the wall height for proper birds mouth and run a ledger on the interior wall to hang the ceiling joists on with hangers. PIA, but way to work with YOUR design.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Consider fastening a 2"x 4" plate on top of the ceiling joists and nailing your rafters directly over the joists. Run your wall sheathing up to the top plate to tie it together.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts