Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed tonight i wasn't getting any hot water.I go in the basement and found this mess.I am assuming it is shot.I think it is 20 yrs old.I have replaced a handful of these things when working for a contractor but never learned how to check to see if it can be fixed.My roommate wants to go to sears to get one.This one is a 50 gal.I was thinking of going with a 40 gal. with a 12 year warrenty.It is a decent price.It is just the 2 of us we don't need tons of hot water.I see many mixed reviews on all the electric hot water tanks.I know things aren't made the way they used to be but wth.I should be able to install the new one in an hour or so.Good thing cause on wed i may be going out of town for 10 days.
Any suggestions on what one to get.
Thanks,Rob

·
Registered
818 Posts
Don't try to fix it...20 years is time for a new one. I don't know what the best brand is, but I do know Lowe's/Whirlpool will let you return a water heater if/when it goes bad and give you a new one for free. I replaced one for a friend after just a few years, he got a new one free.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the GE GeoSpring Hybrid Electric.$300 more at sears then Lowes.I'm sure Sears will honor that price.Was $1300 plus $170 for plumbing parts,Drip pan,some electrical and a new $50 map gas set up.The installation went smooth as can be.I was a bit nervous only doing 4 or or so in my life and this was the 1st one by myself.I added a extra shut off and replaced an old one.Only leak i had was from an old fitting but that's typical.The reviews,ratings & savings on this was what caught my eye even though it was almost 3 times as much as a reg one.It has a few different modes and is simple to use.I'm figuring it will save us about $100 or more a year.Thats on the low side.Plus i think theres a hefty rebate cause it is a hybrid.1/2 hour after install we had hot water.I must say i am proud of myself for doing the research,materials list and a problem free install.Might just be the 1st time i never had to go back to the store for something i forgot or broke,lol.
Hot water Tank-$1300
Materials/Tools-$170.
Research/Materials List-2hrs.
Installation-1.45 hrs (inc. surprise leak in old fitting).
Clean up-1/2 hr.
Waiting for it to fill and for actual hot water-30 min.

Picking up Materials at Lowes & Sears(in blizzard like conditions.)-2hrs.
Lugging the 195lb tank in the house by myself in 4in of snow-15min.
$2000 not inc. tax
@ 7 hrs total time invested.
Satisfaction of doing it myself and not calling someone to do it.........PRICELESS

Ge Geospring 50 Gal 10 Year Hybrid Electric Heat Pump Water Heater from Sears.com

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You need to come to Canada where the gas company will rent you a water heater for 15 years for like 30$ a month, then if you want to remove it early you have to pay a huge fee. Never understood why people rent the things.
Yeah that's a good scam.

When I bought my house it had a rental (15 bucks a month), after a year and a half of renting I decided to buy one so I called the gas company about returning their rental. They said I had the option to buy it out for $35 because it was so old.

I should have called a year and a half earlier. :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts