Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a Franke hot water dispenser installed in a kitchen last month and occasionally it belches some steam and drips of water. My understanding is that the dispenser is acting properly - releasing pressure. Am I right?

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
I was going to post something similar, but I totally respect DaVinci and want him to get a good answer from the plumbers here. Not knocking you at all, but just showing DaVinci the respect he deserves. (Ok I admit it-your pictures are better than the one I was going to post- it's pretty funny):laughing:

End of derail.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Yes, that unit is designed to do that, expansion from heating the water has to go somewhere, so instead of providing an external relief valve like a water heater Franke made the relief valve internal and it goes through the dispenser faucet.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Yes, that unit is designed to do that, expansion from heating the water has to go somewhere, so instead of providing an external relief valve like a water heater Franke made the relief valve internal and it goes through the dispenser faucet.
There we go! Just out of curiosity, is it designed to belch steam or hot water. Sounds a little like a safety issue if that's the case.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
There we go! Just out of curiosity, is it designed to belch steam or hot water. Sounds a little like a safety issue if that's the case.
The amount of steam is very small, and if you get right down to it the whole idea of a hot water dispenser is a safety issue as far as I am concerned. You have 180 degree water controlled by a faucet with an effortless push lever, how easy is it for a little kid to hit that while washing their hands and get a third degree burn?

And trust me, I have taken them out for exactly that reason, everyone owns a microwave, if you want hot water wait the minute it takes for the microwave to heat it.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
You have 180 degree water controlled by a faucet with an effortless push lever, how easy is it for a little kid to hit that while washing their hands and get a third degree burn?
Good point, I think I heard this before somewhere too.

I am also wondering would the intermittent dripping of steam condensate lead to a calcium or some sort of other mineral deposit on the faucet?

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Good point, I think I heard this before somewhere too.

I am also wondering would the intermittent dripping of steam condensate lead to a calcium or some sort of other mineral deposit on the faucet?
The plumber protects the health of the nation.

Whenever you heat water, you cause the solids in said water to draw together, this is also called mineral scale, over time it is going to spread to the faucet, this can be minimized by treating the water through various means. Chicago water is relatively soft as far as mineral deposits go, so you would get a good many years here before it would become a problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
The plumber protects the health of the nation.
I agree. HO's just don't understand cross-contamination issues. They always get the fire hazards and shock hazards associated with electricity being done wrong, but it always seems that they have a tough time grasping how sick they can get if plumbing is done wrong.

As a remodeler, I deal with this a lot and have trouble explaining to HO's sometimes why I need to have my licensed plumber in the picture at all.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Reality from someone who has installed many many of these units.
turn the temp down it is too high.
If the unit is boiling the water causing it to belch steam and water the thermostat is too high. This should be set at about 190 degrees. Hot enough to keep the water hot but well below the boiling point. All of these units work the same, the tanks are non pressurized when you hit the dispenser you are letting cold water in and displacing the hot in the tank.
If it is belching and spitting water and steam that means the water is boiling in the tank and the stat is set too high. Belching steam and water is NOT a normal or safe situation for these devices.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reality from someone who has installed many many of these units.
turn the temp down it is too high.
If the unit is boiling the water causing it to belch steam and water the thermostat is too high. This should be set at about 190 degrees. Hot enough to keep the water hot but well below the boiling point. All of these units work the same, the tanks are non pressurized when you hit the dispenser you are letting cold water in and displacing the hot in the tank.
If it is belching and spitting water and steam that means the water is boiling in the tank and the stat is set too high. Belching steam and water is NOT a normal or safe situation for these devices.
This is the best answer on this thread. I notice the original poster is from Denver...the mile high city. In higher altitudes they recommend a lower temp setting. It doesn't have a built in relief valve like someone else stated......its an open system and does not require a relief.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts