Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working in a house that has 4 bathrooms on upper floor of house. Bathroom 4 which is far away from other bathrooms is fine. Bathroom 3 get the hot the worst, scalding hot out of the hot side, bathroom 2 gets just warm water out of the cold, and the master will get luke warm then cold. Bathroom 2 - 3 go from being hot/warm to cold then back to hot/warm. But when the master shower is turned on there is no hot water at all in bathroom 3 but is fine in other bathrooms. We have had the boiler system replumbed to be isolated and a swing check put on the hot water tanks. The plumber seems to think it could be the master shower mixing valve, but the only way to access it is to remove marble tile. Before I go pulling tile I wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,385 Posts
You have to look at areas that combine the hot and cold. A tempering valve, a shower valve like you mentioned are normal culprits. When something like a washer or an isolation membrane breaks it can let the two waters mingle resulting in a warm water in the cold water situation.

If you have re-plumbed the system it sounds like it would be likely that the shower valve in question is cross contaminating the cold water. Look for tempering valves on the toilets, occasionally they are put there to prevent condensation from forming on the holding tanks for the water closet. Good luck in you hunt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
do those washrooms have automatic sensors for faucets? If so they also have a mixing valve which crap out (especially DELTA faucets). When those mixing valves go outta wack, the hole line is effected.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You didn't state if this is a recently built house, whether the fixtures were just installed and not used yet ? .............If this is the case, bathroom 2 shower cartridge was probably put back in upside down, after they installed the valve. If they are new the other valves probably just need adjusting of the mixer, which sometimes takes alot of effort to get them just right.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions all the faucets are newer Jado's, and the plumber had just replaced all the cartrages (sp) in them because they have very minor drips. The master shower was put in approx. 7-8years ago. The house is approx. 80years old. I think I will have the plumber get into the master shower mixing valve first, just going to a pita as there is no replacement marble on site. Let the scavager hunt begin......

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,385 Posts
Replacing the cartridge shouldn't require any marble removal, just the escutcheon and some screws and a nut.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully, if we can figure out what brand the valve is. No name on trim plate. Hopefully some more investigation will find it. Like I said I am only trying to "prequalify" myself so I have some knowledge on this when I talk to the plumber and to confirm what he suggested (mixing valve) Thanks all! When we find the problem I will post an update.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
This will happen a lot when remodeling and the plumber has set the new shower valve and caped off at the head and the valve is left on. It will allow water to mix across the hot and cold. If you have just put in a new valve and have it capped off at the shower head to leak test try turning off the stops if ti has them or removing the cap and making sure the valve is off.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Yep as some have said your normal culprits are mixing valves that are letting by. Just try and isolate all but one at a time and try and track back to where the faulty setup is. Also have you tested to make sure you have balanced hot and cold supply pressures. Are you on a pressurized system or a gravity system? This can also cause back pressure and push hot/cold back into the other feed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.