Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I look or call I can't find anything over 90 for quick set mud. Does anybody stock this stuff help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
88 Posts
I remember using a method one of my friends offered. We had a job in downtown to repair Hurricane damage in a tower and had to finish several offices in two days We used about 1/2 regular mud compound mixed with about 1/2 quick set 45 min. and maybe just a tad bit of water. Never actually timed it but it got the job done just took a lttile bit longer to dry and without mixing lots of times and breaking your back. We taped and floated one day and lite skim and primed the painted the next with extra help and staying later to finish. Has anybody tried this?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I remember using a method one of my friends offered. We had a job in downtown to repair Hurricane damage in a tower and had to finish several offices in two days We used about 1/2 regular mud compound mixed with about 1/2 quick set 45 min. and maybe just a tad bit of water. Never actually timed it but it got the job done just took a lttile bit longer to dry and without mixing lots of times and breaking your back. We taped and floated one day and lite skim and primed the painted the next with extra help and staying later to finish. Has anybody tried this?
I had a DW contractor mention that method to me once...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually there is an Easy Sand 210 lightweight setting compound, but I've never actually seen it anyplace. It even mentions it on the back of the other EZ sand bags. If you really wanted it I would recommend asking to special order it at Lowes/HD or call your nearest dedicated drywall supplier. Let us know how it works out.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
how about a bag of 90 + ice water? If hot water speeds the reaction... someone already said itimated to use ready mix is you're looking for something longer, but the length should depend on the thickness of the bed joint.

when I do shower refits w/ the new molded surrounds, I'll use 20m for the first coat, then a 45 or 90 for the second-come back the next morning, sand it down and a little premix is all that is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could use a bit of plaster retarder.
Use sparingly, follow directions, etc.

(I'd look real hard for 210 or 300 first, though.)

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
I don't think there is anything slower to set than 90 minute & 90 is NOT the working time BTW. :)

the junk I use says it sets up in 90min.

One GC I know only uses 5min. I always used 90. I seen 210 before but it seems to have vanished. 90 seems like what everyone uses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts