Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My next door neighbor is retiring from the US Navy soon and is putting her house on the market. She is having me rip out the pine walls for drywall slick finish. The prior owner was the ultimate "Tim Taylor" wannabe. He had removed the origional full bath/shower and set a corner shower in place. I remember him doing this about 11-12 years ago. My neighbor had mentioned to me on a few occasions about this particular bathroom never having that clean smell like her other one.

The Scenario:

Rip Out: After removing the shower glass walls, I lifted the pan straight up off the slab. No mechanical connection to the drain what so ever. ( no gaskets - no threads - no glue up). There was no P-Trap. The vent pipe goes up about 3 1/2' and is open. Wax ring for the toilet never crushed because the prior owner didn't raise the flange a little when he added tile floors. The pine walls were loosely clad with only a few toungues mating in thier prospective grooves. The slab under the pan was wet and the plumbing pit was wet and very foul smelling. (grey water) It appears that the pit at the slab caught much of the water when she used the shower.

Plumber visits: She had me stand in for her late yesterday afternoon for the 2 plumbers that she had scheduled for the tub replacement quotes. She is stationed 40 miles up the road and has to fight traffic every evening.

Plumber#1: Dont need a P-trap. The vent is legal and meets code. Gives me the estimate and leaves.

Plumber#2 : Will install a P-Trap. Vent needs to be run through the roof or he cannot do the job. He hands me a his estimate and leaves.

My question is....why can't the tub vent be joined into the 4" black pvc vent located 4' to the right of the tub location? It seems logical to me to do it this way, but I am not a licensed plumber who knows the codes and safety issues. I have attached some pics to add some detail.

V/R....John

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,779 Posts
For sure looks like a fine mess. Although I am not a plumber , I can't understand why the one would say no trap needed. What would stop gases from coming back up inside? Looks like a dandy job on the water lines too.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,001 Posts
Don't know about your area, but s-traps are prohibited in just about every major code.

As far as tying into the 4" vent, I assume you mean in the attic, right? Also, are you sure that that is not a waste stack from an upper story?

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Thats post sleeve for fence, not pipe. Black usually indicates ABS.

Don't know about your area, but s-traps are prohibited in just about every major code.

As far as tying into the 4" vent, I assume you mean in the attic, right? Also, are you sure that that is not a waste stack from an upper story?
The sink drain dump into it. I also don't see a vent for the sink.

Probably also need nail plates since the copper supply lines are right at the edge of the studs.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I do mean P-Trap. Dunno why I say S all the time. :blink: Thank you for correcting me. The 4" vent goes through the roof. It is a single story home.

·
Master
79 Posts
Yes you could tie in to the vent riser in the attic. Yes it needs p trap and should be a San tee not a combo, sink is vented dirty arm is within limit to vent.
Looks like cpvc glue on PVC?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,001 Posts
I do mean P-Trap. Dunno why I say S all the time. :blink: Thank you for correcting me. The 4" vent goes through the roof. It is a single story home.
In that case he probably could tie into it. It might be easier to do it in the attic though, to avoid drilling and stuffing pipe through all those studs. :eek:

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
D.E.P.S. you might want to edit the original post to say "P-trap" - might save everybody some time....

I'm not a plumber, but neither is "Plumber #1", apparently. Of course you need a P-trap - sheesh.

As for the vent, I wonder if an AAV can be installed as an alternative (along with an access panel). Any thoughts on that, folks?

·
Master
79 Posts
If there's a closet on the back side I'd put an air valve in if allowed.
Here's another (non) plumbers hot mess I found on a w/h

Ha ha

I'm sure they melted out the dip tube on install ...

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,001 Posts
I'm not seeing a question.

My question is....why can't the tub vent be joined into the 4" black pvc vent located 4' to the right of the tub location? It seems logical to me to do it this way, but I am not a licensed plumber who knows the codes and safety issues.
Kinda looks like a question to me. :blink:

But we expect that from PZ guys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Reactions: Squench
1 - 20 of 21 Posts