Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skilled Carpenter wanted for house trim replacement (Avon, CT)
Date: 2009-09-06, 11:02PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Seeking skilled carpentery bids to replace the trim on my house with Azek or similar, pursuant to the following scope of work:

Exterior trim and moulding replacement: Scope and Specifications clarifications

1. To the extent this Rider A conflicts or is otherwise inconsistent with any other contract terms, the terms of this Rider A shall control.
2. General scope to include removal of existing exterior wood moulding, window sill nosings, trim, soffit and fascia boards that are painted white and replace with white PVC moulding, trim, soffit and fascia boards consistent with original size, shape and design. Existing white framing members of screened porch shall remain.
3. All work to be performed between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and to be completed within two weeks after commencement.
4. Remove and reinstall gutters, gutter guards, light fixtures or any other existing fixture as needed to replace trim and soffit fascia.
5. Removal of existing trim shall not be made in more areas than can be replaced with new trim in the same day. However, upon specific request, Owner may request additional areas to be removed provided 1) poor weather is not expected; 2) Contractor provides reasonable weather protection; and 3) the areas are replaced with new trim within 48 hours after removal.
6. Contractor shall be responsible for all disposal and removal of debris through the use of one or more dumpsters or other means. Any dumpster shall be placed in the driveway, with plywood protection. Dumpster shall not obstruct driveway, front entrance walk, or two right garage doors for Owner’s vehicles.
7. All work shall be performed carefully, so as to avoid damage to siding, roof shingles, metal drip edge, driveway, walks, landscaping, yard, windows, doors, light fixtures, gutters, gutter guards, deck, screened porch, or any other aspect of building or property to remain. Any damage shall be fully repaired and/or replaced by Contractor, including any necessary painting or other finishes.
8. Materials
a. Contractor shall utilize one or more of the following manufacturers for the trim materials:
i. Azek
ii. Versatex
iii. Tuf Board
iv. KOMA
v. Kleer
vi. Plasticlad
vii. Fypon
viii. Tanza
9. All new trim shall be cut and installed in strict accordance with manufacturers requirements and technical specifications, and shall meet or exceed all applicable building codes and industry standards.
10. Provide aluminum flashing and drip edge (using vinyl drip edge product where available from manufacturer) where needed, i.e. under roof edges and over windows, doors and other appropriate siding penetrations.
11. In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty for all products used by Contractor, Contractor warrants that the work provided under this agreement shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two years following the final completion of the work. Upon notice from Owner (or a transferee of the warranty), contractor shall promptly return to repair any such conditions discovered during the warranty period at no cost to Owner. This warranty by Contractor may be transferred and assigned to any future purchaser of the property.
12. Prior to final payment, Owner and Contractor shall review and inspect all work.
13. Contractor shall apply for and pull all applicable permits.
14. Contract price includes all required labor, materials, equipment, tools, taxes, insurance and permit costs.
15. Cleanup of all debris, including in lawn and planting areas, as required on a daily basis.

Interested contractors, contact Bob at 860-209-2848 to arrange a pre-bid site visit.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: Contract and lump sum price to be negotiated

PostingID: 1361831343

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wouldn't even consider this job. I can already see the HO following me everywhere and telling me how to do my job. He already wrote out his own proposal... he should just do the work himself.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yep,.
I recongnize that format!!!

Looks like a Small Cities Grant invitation to bid.

Bob,or BoB the Builder as refered to by one of his past victims,writes the specs for a company that oversees the Low or No interest loans given to select towns who have met the Small Cities requirements.
Great program for the Town because the money is recycled back into the local program for future use as the loans are paid off ,or in the case of no interest or payments,at the time the property is sold.

Lousy to bid on for Contractors because they will take the lowest bid,and this has gotten them in trouble many times.

The lowest bid is guaranteed to be 30%-40% below average ,and it won't raise a red flag for them.

Avon is twenty miles down the road for me,but it's never worth waisting time on these.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Huh, I just figured it was a lawyer soliciting a contractor to work on his home.

Never experienced it, but I've heard the stories (legends?) about the contractor with a lawyer for a client. Lawyer rewrites the contract into 300 pages of legalese.

That ever happen to anybody?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Skilled Carpenter wanted for house trim replacement (Avon, CT)
Date: 2009-09-06, 11:02PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Seeking skilled carpentery bids to replace the trim on my house with Azek or similar, pursuant to the following scope of work:

Exterior trim and moulding replacement: Scope and Specifications clarifications

1. To the extent this Rider A conflicts or is otherwise inconsistent with any other contract terms, the terms of this Rider A shall control.
2. General scope to include removal of existing exterior wood moulding, window sill nosings, trim, soffit and fascia boards that are painted white and replace with white PVC moulding, trim, soffit and fascia boards consistent with original size, shape and design. Existing white framing members of screened porch shall remain.
3. All work to be performed between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and to be completed within two weeks after commencement.
4. Remove and reinstall gutters, gutter guards, light fixtures or any other existing fixture as needed to replace trim and soffit fascia.
5. Removal of existing trim shall not be made in more areas than can be replaced with new trim in the same day. However, upon specific request, Owner may request additional areas to be removed provided 1) poor weather is not expected; 2) Contractor provides reasonable weather protection; and 3) the areas are replaced with new trim within 48 hours after removal.
6. Contractor shall be responsible for all disposal and removal of debris through the use of one or more dumpsters or other means. Any dumpster shall be placed in the driveway, with plywood protection. Dumpster shall not obstruct driveway, front entrance walk, or two right garage doors for Owner’s vehicles.
7. All work shall be performed carefully, so as to avoid damage to siding, roof shingles, metal drip edge, driveway, walks, landscaping, yard, windows, doors, light fixtures, gutters, gutter guards, deck, screened porch, or any other aspect of building or property to remain. Any damage shall be fully repaired and/or replaced by Contractor, including any necessary painting or other finishes.
8. Materials
a. Contractor shall utilize one or more of the following manufacturers for the trim materials:
i. Azek
ii. Versatex
iii. Tuf Board
iv. KOMA
v. Kleer
vi. Plasticlad
vii. Fypon
viii. Tanza
9. All new trim shall be cut and installed in strict accordance with manufacturers requirements and technical specifications, and shall meet or exceed all applicable building codes and industry standards.
10. Provide aluminum flashing and drip edge (using vinyl drip edge product where available from manufacturer) where needed, i.e. under roof edges and over windows, doors and other appropriate siding penetrations.
11. In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty for all products used by Contractor, Contractor warrants that the work provided under this agreement shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two years following the final completion of the work. Upon notice from Owner (or a transferee of the warranty), contractor shall promptly return to repair any such conditions discovered during the warranty period at no cost to Owner. This warranty by Contractor may be transferred and assigned to any future purchaser of the property.
12. Prior to final payment, Owner and Contractor shall review and inspect all work.
13. Contractor shall apply for and pull all applicable permits.
14. Contract price includes all required labor, materials, equipment, tools, taxes, insurance and permit costs.
15. Cleanup of all debris, including in lawn and planting areas, as required on a daily basis.

Interested contractors, contact Bob at 860-209-2848 to arrange a pre-bid site visit.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* Compensation: Contract and lump sum price to be negotiated

PostingID: 1361831343
Just a little over the top?:eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its kinda nice to see a guy that knows what he wants . I would bid that job .
I never agree to a finish date . I wont rush for any one .
I will agree to work consecutive days until done . Guys like this like to be politically correct and take a middle bid most of the time .
I think this job will be done this fall unlike the 60+ proposals and plans i put out there since spring . :eek:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Huh, I just figured it was a lawyer soliciting a contractor to work on his home.

Never experienced it, but I've heard the stories (legends?) about the contractor with a lawyer for a client. Lawyer rewrites the contract into 300 pages of legalese.

That ever happen to anybody?
Did a lawyers bathroom over the summer. He didn't touch my contract at all (which I suppose is a good thing for me). Only issue I had with him was my receipt. He wanted verbiage clearly stating no more money was due to me and the contracted amount was paid in full.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Sounds like the guy has done his homework or is a contractor himself. Hmmm, he wants dumpster in the driveway but doesnt want driveway obstructed, must be a damn big driveway i am thinking. I can just see this guy going over the instructions for installing each product to be sure it is done correctly.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Its kinda nice to see a guy that knows what he wants . I would bid that job .
I never agree to a finish date . I wont rush for any one .
I will agree to work consecutive days until done . Guys like this like to be politically correct and take a middle bid most of the time .
I think this job will be done this fall unlike the 60+ proposals and plans i put out there since spring . :eek:
That's a good positive way to look at this. I'd also ask him what he means by "insurance".

Does he want worker's comp to protect him in case the worker is injured, public liability insurance for his property? Ask the insurance question for clarification and you'll separate yourself from the pack.

Otherwise, he's just very precise about what he wants, has done a lot of research, and is providing a set of specifications that 99% of our prospects don't have. Yet, even with all that information you really can't know for sure how it would be to work for him, unless you go see the project and check him out. What does anyone (in the area) have to lose by running it as a lead?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
tell him you'll gladly do the job if you can use his toilet to take a number 2.
An upper decker?

Did a lawyers bathroom over the summer. He didn't touch my contract at all (which I suppose is a good thing for me). Only issue I had with him was my receipt. He wanted verbiage clearly stating no more money was due to me and the contracted amount was paid in full.
Lawyers for the most part know the cost and aggrivation of litigation. I have had the least trouble with lawyers as clients. Except for one. Then they hired outsiede council who saw a perceived payday .As far as the quote above what is unreasonable about that?
what could you consider unreasonable about that.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Don't even need to see the job $1,000,000

Just kidding, but everything has a price and you add accordingly. I will work for less for someone that treats me well and I will price higher for arseholes

110 Posts
In my experience when someone says "must be done in 2 weeks" what they really mean is "in time for Thanksgiving dinner" or "before my newborn gets home".

Find out why the rush and maybe you`ll see his point of view and work around it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts