Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a single story ranch in NJ. The sun rises in the back yard, sets in the front. On hot sunny days, once the sun passes over the ridge of the roof, so much heat radiates from the exterior walls and ceiling that my AC cannot keep up despite running non stop. AC system is brand new and air coming out of vents is about 13-15 degrees cooler than inside temp which is set to 74-76.

Outside temp today was 90, humid and sunny. With house set to 76 at 5pm, the ceiling temperature was about 84 degrees, exterior facing wall at 80, interior walls at 76, wall above OLD window w/ blackout curtains was 94 degrees (blackout curtains hold hot air which rises). Attic is insulated as pictured (not sure the rating), we have a ridge vent, gable vents and attic fan. Attic temp is about 120-130 degrees towards ridge.

So- given all of that info, I’m looking for some input on which issue may be the leading contributor; attic ventilation, insulation, or old window.
(Ridge vent was installed with new roof 2 yrs ago- previously did not have so I’m unsure if insulation is pulled back enough above soffits to allow enough air flow.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.