Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in November I received an RFQ. A condo in Chicago was being gutted & redone. I quoted the masonry tuck pointing/repair work, cleaning and sealing of the brick.

The owner replies:

"thanks for the quote. As it turns out the carpenter actually had a mason who is doing the work for me( 25% cheaper than your quote) and they got about 6 hours in today on the cleaning. It looks really good so while I am sorry that I didn't use your company I am glad that it will be done that much sooner so I can move in quicker. Thanks for all your help."

I replied:

Since cleaning would be the last part of the process, it appears you decided to forgo the repairs in order to move in sooner. This would explain the disparity between the quotes.
Well pilgrims I received the following email today:

You were out to see about tuck pointing my walls and fireplace. While I was able to get the tuck pointing done, I don't think they sealed the brick. Is there any way to determine if that was done and if not could you seal it for me. There seems to be an inordinate amount of dust in my condo. Please give me a call if you have time to help me out.

Being the "nice guy" that I am, I replied:

The original mason should warranty his work. My recommendation would be for you to contact the mason who did the work, ask him to inspect the walls, fireplace and do additional work if necessary.

Regards,
Mike

The owner then repiles:

The man who did the tuck pointing told me he sealed it but it is very dusty. Would it have been sealed and still leach dust off? Can you tell by looking at it or is there a test I can perform to see if it is actually sealed. I am trying to get my house cleaner and less dusty, he will not come back, he said he is busy with other things so I need someone else.

So what do you guys think? How should I end this conversation with the HO???

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Back in November I received an RFQ. A condo in Chicago was being gutted & redone. I quoted the masonry tuck pointing/repair work, cleaning and sealing of the brick.

The owner replies:

I replied:

Well pilgrims I received the following email today:

Being the "nice guy" that I am, I replied:

The owner then repiles:

So what do you guys think? How should I end this conversation with the HO???

Why are you going to finish the conversation? It seems to me that you now have the perfect oportunity to enforce the "stupid " tax. By the way, nform them that you will charge them an hourly rate to investigate what has and has not been done!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I would just tell them I've spent too much time gaining a good reputation to chance 'marrying' someone else's shoddy work.

And I'd probably have to throw in the ole' "and how much did you save again"??

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you going to finish the conversation? It seems to me that you now have the perfect oportunity to enforce the "stupid " tax. By the way, nform them that you will charge them an hourly rate to investigate what has and has not been done!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's not worth my time. I don't do seal only jobs.

·
Boss Man
37 Posts
Swallow your pride, and be fair.

So somebody got stuck. And they didn't realize the alter of ego on which you stand. Let me ask you, when you go buy a truck for your business, do you go looking for the highest price?

Let's all get off our high and holy perches, and help out a homeowner that might have made a bad decision, without giving our trades a bad name. Yes, you wasted time on a quote, but treat the guy with respect, see if you can give him a mop up service at a fair price, you are just liable to have a very thankful customer.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
So somebody got stuck. And they didn't realize the alter of ego on which you stand. Let me ask you, when you go buy a truck for your business, do you go looking for the highest price?

Let's all get off our high and holy perches, and help out a homeowner that might have made a bad decision, without giving our trades a bad name. Yes, you wasted time on a quote, but treat the guy with respect, see if you can give him a mop up service at a fair price, you are just liable to have a very thankful customer.

A truck is a physical item, - - much different than a 'service' . . .

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's all get off our high and holy perches, and help out a homeowner that might have made a bad decision, without giving our trades a bad name.
The person giving the trades a bad name is the jackleg the HO hired. He's too busy to warranty his work??????????

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
A lot of what Zookies says is true. This should be a business decision, not an emotional one no matter how good it might make you feel to stick it in his face even if done with tact. If you don't do only sealing maybe send him to someone you trust who will?

Of course this is just one man's opinion.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Brickie,
I would say just that "Hey dude you got what you paid for you didn't like my price and you had to have the Quick Fast Job. Well Home Bisquet sorry you should call you guy back":thumbsup:
Some of these people feel they can get something for nothing.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
A couple of very mature replies in there.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A lot of what Zookies says is true. This should be a business decision, not an emotional one no matter how good it might make you feel to stick it in his face even if done with tact. If you don't do only sealing maybe send him to someone you trust who will?

Of course this is just one man's opinion.

Andy.
It's always a business first decision with me. I'm booked solid for the next 9 weeks. I've been turning down projects that I don't want to mess with. This would fall under that category. There's no money in it to do a seal only deal. That's why it was quoted as part of a TP/repair, clean and seal package.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's always a business first decision with me. I'm booked solid for the next 9 weeks. I've been turning down projects that I don't want to mess with. This would fall under that category. There's no money in it to do a seal only deal. That's why it was quoted as part of a TP/repair, clean and seal package.

This may be the response ^^ to the HO for your final answer.:thumbsup:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
since you gave your initial consultation that was free.. it will be $XXX.XX to come look at the problem. Upon finding the answer, you will have a contract for him to sign and work will begin as soon as you guys agree. Normally it would be a cheaper amount of the whole project, but it should be priced according to fact that you will have to do extra work to bring it up to snuff to seal. I would try to make him a customer for life. Show up, give a professional job/experience to him and make a good name for yourself with him and get his referral biz also.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
It's not worth my time. I don't do seal only jobs.
Shoot him the price that would make you do a seal only job.

This is the ultimate solution. If the customer has trully seen the light: You get paid what it would take to make you want to do this, the customer who took the cheap way out gets an education on it's always less expensive to pay what it takes to do it right the first time.

You'll get paid what you want. The customer gets an education. The trades have one less uneducated customer calling them next time.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Consulting fees dude. Yeah I'd like to tell them to shove it too. But. If you don't want to get involved or are too busy maybe you could line them up with someone reputable. Your professionalism would shine through.

Can't have enough good referrals in my book. Unless they're a**hol**. I would help.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts