Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build a small run in horse shed for a customer and then one for me, so I am figuring the lumber package.

I am figuring running 2x6 roof joists 24 OC supported at 8 feet by a beam that will also be supported by 4x4's at 8 feet. The load for the 2x6 is fine, but I have been looking at the span tables, and haven't found one, or at least can't read it right that tells me what these beams need to be. I was thinking that a 4x6 would be good, or maybe just lam a couple 2x6 together, but want to be sure.

roofing will just be 1x's with galvanized roofing over it.

I know this is the simple stuff for you framers, and I could just hack it, but I am interested in the proper beam on this thing. I have seen some with just 2x4 beams, but I am assuming that isn't correct. :whistling

·
Registered
129 Posts
why not just go 2- 2x8's or 2x10's. glued and nailed together. I usually notch my 6x6 out and have my beam resting on my post/column. With 4x4s im sure you can use a simpson hanger or some kind of idea. Im not a fan of lag bolting beams to posts. Without much information and not saying to get a engineer. Id stay away from 4x6's? ( never seen in my area)

·
Super Moderator
24,727 Posts
If you are going to put horses in there get rid of the 4x4 uprights and use schd 40 pipe or sq tube. Horses love to eat wood in their areas of confinement.

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to put horses in there get rid of the 4x4 uprights and use schd 40 pipe or sq tube. Horses love to eat wood in their areas of confinement.
For mine I might, but this is what they want. She's had a ton of horses, so I will defer to her wants on this one. I may bump it to 4x6 though, to give them more to eat. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be the best way, but not in the budget on this one, especially since I can't weld.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts