Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: thank you for this forum and I hope someone here can help me and my wife out.

I live in an older duplex and the stack pipe for our kitchen sink/laundry drainage runs through one of our kitchen walls which adjoins a small porch area. Lately, we are noticing a very strong, sharp and disagreeable smell which I can only assume is coming from the stack noticeable on windier days in both the kitchen and the porch. At times you don't notice it and at other times it's about all we can do to stand it. It's driving us crazy, but in doing some preliminary research, from what we are seeing, purchasing something like the Odor Hog won't work to take care of this problem.

What kind of inspection and diagnostic can I do to trace down the source of this odor? What can then be done on the basis of what we find?

Any advice would be very, very appreciated.

Most sincerely

DD

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Do you own or rent? Makes a BIG difference.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Your drains may not be properly vented, so each time you flush the vacuum from exiting water sucks your traps dry allowing sewer gases to escape intoo your home. One way to test this is to flush all tolits several times and run a lot of water quickly. Then go to the kitchen and remove the trap benieth, if it has no water in it your venting is hampered.

check to see if birds or other rodents have clogged your venting from the roof vent pipe.

If the vent stack is broken in the wall.

Cut the soil pipe where it leaves the house in the basement, cap it off good. you will have to install a coupler there later. Use a garden hose to fill the stack from the roof, you should notice any leaking threw the wall or on the floor not long after it's filled. That will tell you where to tear out wall and repair. Allow most water to drain out the cleanout, you'll have to locate. Then remove cap at soil exit and apply coupler. I would only consider this if you own, and your sure it's sewer gas your smelling. Try to be thoughtfull about the water your turning loose on your home. I'd buy a wet vac for this project. Have fun. Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts