Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is where the street meets my driveway. Im an hvac guy not a paver. Anyone got any good recommendations? For years i have just been piling gravel and dirt but it keeps washing away. In some spots its a 6-8'' drop and its reaking havoc on our vehicles.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You need some road base stone, not sure what it's called in your area. Put it in in lifts and rent at least a plate tamper to compact it. Stone needs to have fines in it to lock together. If you don't have the money for a concrete or asphalt apron try to add some Portland or concrete with the stone. Cheap way to try to keep it together a little bit. Good luck!

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Around here it is called grizzly pack. You could also try that recycled asphalt and compact that. It holds up pretty well and is cheaper than concrete or asphalt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think a few bags mixable concrete like at home depot mixed with stone would hold up well? Appreciate everyone's input by the way.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Danzig said:
do you think a few bags mixable concrete like at home depot mixed with stone would hold up well? Appreciate everyone's input by the way.
I dont think that would work well for very long at all.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
By its looks, that pavement was laid in front of an existing driveway. You'd be within your rights to do a bit of squawking to the township (or whoever) about the impediment they created.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
No, fix it right or live with the bump.

I don't think that would work well for very long at all.
:thumbsup:

By its looks, that pavement was laid in front of an existing driveway. You'd be within your rights to do a bit of squawking to the township (or whoever) about the impediment they created.
Apron/Encroachment is the owners responsibility around here. If you have an approved encroachment and the street is overlayed they will normally taper the new overlay into your encroachment.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
Apron/Encroachment is the owners responsibility around here. If you have an approved encroachment and the street is overlayed they will normally taper the new overlay into your encroachment.
Agreed in principle. However in real life around here there are many, many unpaved driveways, and the road crews will generally make at least a token attempt to make it passable.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Hell, you could use pressure treated wood and spikes into the ground. It would last a while. Asphalt would be the go to way though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed in principle. However in real life around here there are many, many unpaved driveways, and the road crews will generally make at least a token attempt to make it passable.
I agree, there are lots around here too, and they made no attempt to ease the road into the driveway at all, its a straight 6-8'' drop off.
Hell, you could use pressure treated wood and spikes into the ground. It would last a while. Asphalt would be the go to way though.
I like all these work around suggestions, so keep them coming while im waiting for a response from the DPW. Have contacted them twice but ill keep bugging them im not going to let this get swept under the rug. If you think about it, this driveway met the road evenly at one point, i dont care if it was in the 1950s or the 1850s. When they paved it they should have made a ramp or connected it somehow. I am in no way obligated to spend the money to pave my driveway just to level it with the road. im not asking for much here just a little slope of pavement so our vehicles are not getting destroyed.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
I second the R.A.P. (recycled asphalt products) mentioned by Morning Wood if you're on a tight budget. Compacted down, it should hold up pretty not too bad overtime.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
You mean Home Depot?

:laughing:

I can mention it.....

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's not a perm. Fix but might keep it together better than just raking stone up to the road. If you are raking up what is in the pictures you may as well put marbles down also pretty much the same thing. Something needs to be in the stone to keep it together. Other than paving it or pouring concrete anything will be a temp fix. Hell for 30-40 in concrete it's worth a shot in my opinion.

You can try millings but it depends how much liquid asphalt is left in them on how good it will work. They also need to heat up to bind together, the theory is the liquid remaining in the millings heats up and creates the "glue" to hold everything together. It will just depend how good the millings are.

I'm with the others as well though, who ever paved it should have at least made a attempt to put something there. Looking closer at the picture looks like there is a patch that needs done on the road anyway. Try to get them to patch and add some asphalt to the drop off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not a perm. Fix but might keep it together better than just raking stone up to the road. If you are raking up what is in the pictures you may as well put marbles down also pretty much the same thing. Something needs to be in the stone to keep it together. Other than paving it or pouring concrete anything will be a temp fix. Hell for 30-40 in concrete it's worth a shot in my opinion.

You can try millings but it depends how much liquid asphalt is left in them on how good it will work. They also need to heat up to bind together, the theory is the liquid remaining in the millings heats up and creates the "glue" to hold everything together. It will just depend how good the millings are.

I'm with the others as well though, who ever paved it should have at least made a attempt to put something there. Looking closer at the picture looks like there is a patch that needs done on the road anyway. Try to get them to patch and add some asphalt to the drop off.
I forgot about that, its nothing crucial but a good way to entice them to make the trip worthwhile, not for just the driveway. Thanks great advice. I will keep checking back here for responses and to update the thread with my results as well. Thus far id like to thank everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I forgot about that, its nothing crucial but a good way to entice them to make the trip worthwhile, not for just the driveway. Thanks great advice. I will keep checking back here for responses and to update the thread with my results as well. Thus far id like to thank everyone!
So the town got back to me and said they cannot do anything about it because the road was paved about 10 years ago and its our responsibility to pave the driveway

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Danzig said:
So the town got back to me and said they cannot do anything about it because the road was paved about 10 years ago and its our responsibility to pave the driveway
Install the worlds largest speed bump on the towns road. Frock em.

·
Registered
555 Posts
They aren't going to do anything until it's time to repair the road. At that point the contractor should do a better job to tie into everyone's driveway. Looks like your stuck for now. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts