Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I have been reading several posts in here and been learning alot, I appreciate this.

I have not done a whole lot of drywalling but feel I can do the smaller jobs, I recently framed, rocked, taped, mudded, textured a 30X50 basement. It took me about 6 days for completion (weekends), I am sure it coulda done quicker and better but did look good when finished.

Ok here is my question, I have Marshalltown Sharpshooter I hopper gun, great on walls.

After mudding, taping, sanding and will probably prime to find flaws of which i learned here. :)
Could I use it to spray the ceiling instead of rolling mud on and then slap it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Are you asking about using the hopper spray mud for a level 5 finish? Not sure what you mean by ‘slap it’ unless you’re talking about pulling the mud off after you spray it on.

Then again, here in NY everything is smooth so we don’t see much texture.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could I use it to spray the ceiling instead of rolling mud on and then slap it?
I think he means using the hopper for mud placement (On ceiling) instead of using a paint roller for a "stomp" ceiling texture.
Honestly never tried myself but I suppose it would work for a light stomp. I always just thinned the mud a lil & rolled the $heet out of it. :thumbsup:

BTW, How's the work in everyone's area? Better or worse? Here for the moment it's steady but subject to change anytime. :party:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he means using the hopper for mud placement (On ceiling) instead of using a paint roller for a "stomp" ceiling texture.
Honestly never tried myself but I suppose it would work for a light stomp. I always just thinned the mud a lil & rolled the $heet out of it. :thumbsup:

BTW, How's the work in everyone's area? Better or worse? Here for the moment it's steady but subject to change anytime. :party:

Meatball this is exactly what I was thinking... It's a small room so may not be worth spraying anyway and to avoid mess will probably roll it out. Although I do enjoy spraying and depending on how I do walls may spray anyway.

And by the way, work here is steady for many people. I myself am a side jobber and word of mouth, jack of all trades master of none, so I take what I can get.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you asking about using the hopper spray mud for a level 5 finish? Not sure what you mean by ‘slap it’ unless you’re talking about pulling the mud off after you spray it on.

Then again, here in NY everything is smooth so we don’t see much texture.

It will be a level 4 finish, at least best I can. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have stomped cieling with a double brush on pole before behind a regular spray rig , 400 gal tank old transmision style 3 gears I belive. And yes it can be done but alot of work over a large area , you have to move fast. The spray rig I have now Is 150 gal all hydrolic .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts