Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've managed to acquire a Jacuzzi Whirlpool tub from a job.
I've also just closed on my new house.

My new house needs a bathroom renovating and I would love to be able to use the Jacuzzi tub in the renovations. Only problem is the bathroom is not big enough to do a separate tub and shower. It basically looks like this one:

Does anyone have any idea how I could adapt this kind of tub to be used for a shower too?
I've thought about maybe installing linear drains into the perimeter of the surround but I figured I may as well fish on here for ideas while I'm at it.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You could probably use a freestanding tub(think clawfoot) setup for the shower fixture and curtain but climbing in and out of it seems a little dangerous to me if it's going to be for regular use. I also don't like showering in clawfoot tubs because it seems like you have a curtain glued to your butt every 10 seconds.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not a clawfoot tub. Its a fiberglass whirlpool tub. I think making it into a clawfoot would be harder than trying to make a drainable deck

·
Registered
26 Posts
EthanB said:
You could probably use a freestanding tub(think clawfoot) setup for the shower fixture and curtain but climbing in and out of it seems a little dangerous to me if it's going to be for regular use. I also don't like showering in clawfoot tubs because it seems like you have a curtain glued to your butt every 10 seconds.
I followed what you were saying...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shower head in ceiling (assuming that is easy enough) then maybe a wood (or metal) semi-pervious floor over some sort of pan with a drain? You could probably put the whole tub on a deck area above the FFL assuming you have enough room.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I would give up that idea. Round hole, Square peg.

What's in the existing bathroom now? Not trying to be negative but just because you got it for free does not mean you have to find a use for it.

I've learned my lesson. :whistling

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
I would give up that idea. Round hole, Square peg.

What's in the existing bathroom now? Not trying to be negative but just because you got it for free does not mean you have to find a use for it.

I've learned my lesson. :whistling
I agree.

I have come across "free" jacuzzis on numerous occasions. If I was going to do a bath remodel, I might have considered using one, but for the amount of time the jacuzzi would see use (1%) vs the time the shower would see use (99%), I think I would regret it a lot.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
wakonako said:
I know I don't have to use it. I was just wondering if its possible.
Anything is possible

Personally, I don't think I would want to stand in that every night and take a shower. But you can make it work if you really want to so the answer to your question is yes you can if you want to.

But those tubs are not made to be used as a shower.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm big on making things work.
What is under the bathroom? If you have a basement under it perhaps a way to "Undermount" the tub to the floor above. Than you can pitch the new bath floor into the tub. Of course you will need some sort of grab rail to get in and out.
Too much work for me and probably too dangerous having that big of a hole in the bathroom floor - But it could work and it would be unique.
Bill T

1 - 12 of 12 Posts