Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my autumn list is re-caulking around my wife's fiberglass jet tub. What's the best/easiest way to remove the old caulk without scratching the tub?

Yeah, I know I should post this on the DIY site.

·
Super Moderator
26,922 Posts
Dremel.

Kidding. They make a hooked tool. I use a knife, if you dont do it much might put some blue tape on either side of the caulking.

Reactions: TxElectrician

·
Super Moderator
26,922 Posts
Scotch Painters tape. Whats phase tape?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,679 Posts
A like new 5 in 1 (if the blade isn't straight or has nicks in it can dig into the tub), a razor knife, and some razor blades.

^^^that^^^

:thumbsup:

On my autumn list is re-caulking around my wife's fiberglass jet tub. What's the best/easiest way to remove the old caulk without scratching the tub?

Yeah, I know I should post this on the DIY site.

She don't let you hop in there with her?? :eek: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Of all I've tried....my favorite is I keep small dull chisels just for this, I use with the bevel side out. It's plenty dull enough not to dig into the surface with no nicks/burrs. Small enough it doesn't go much beyond the caulk bead, have a 1/4" for neater grout jobs and 1/2" for the sloppy stuff. I use it on anything from fiberglass to cultured marble/easy to scratch surfaces to tile with no issues. Fast and safe.

·
Kowboy
2,154 Posts
Rip some pieces of plastic laminate at about 3/4" wide. When you break them they make an edge sharp enough to remove caulk, but without scratching.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Rip some pieces of plastic laminate at about 3/4" wide. When you break them they make an edge sharp enough to remove caulk, but without scratching.
That is a great idea, when it breaks its razor sharp and flat

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts