Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a call in this morning from one of my guys, seems like he might have the brown bottle flu. This will be the second maybe third monday in a row to have called in. I told him, you need to bring in a Dr's Excuse, he replies " I don't have a normal Dr. that I see" I told him, well they give those out at the hospital, I suggest you have one tomorrow morning.

Do they think we don't notice the patterns of when they call in?

Come on, it isn't rocket science. If you call in two mondays in a row, what are the chances that it is a valid reason? So if he doesn't have a Dr's excuse in the morning someone will be going to the unemployment line.

Oh well.

:no:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
I'm wondering what would happen if he did show up tomorrow with a note that said:

(employee) was absent from work Monday due to being a cheap drunk.

regards

Dr Jones

LOL hey, its a note!

ok, maybe not :D

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Banned
110 Posts
I once had an employee miss a Monday because he SLEPT THRU THE ENTIRE DAY!!!
Apparently, he has an illness that he didn't let us know about.

But he never smells of alcohol, but that was weird!

~Matt
Once, one of the guys forgot to go to work for 10 days, he just got hired the 10 days before, so i guess he's just not used to working! We needed to call him to get him @ the sight, and said that he was supposed to start in 3 days. He said, " Huh, oh i thought i started in a week," well we told him that he was three days late anyway! So both ways he was wrong! What a dolt!:w00t:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hear you.

Being on the other side (I've been sober for 31 years) the answer to your question is no.The answer is: They don't think! I had a drinking buddy who was called on the carpet years ago.His boss told him that he was one of his best workers when he was there. Then he asked him if he was aware that in 20 years on the job he had 57 teeth pulled? Over my drinking career I had a hard time keeping my lies straight. I would suggest though that if he is a good worker give him a choice to do something about his problem or find a new job. This tactic helped me to sober up and my boss said he never regretted giving my the time off (without pay of course) to handle my problem.

·
General Contractor
8,155 Posts
So if he doesn't have a Dr's excuse in the morning someone will be going to the unemployment line.
It will get better, I would wait until the same person dies twice, and he has to attend the funeral, then fire him :thumbsup::laughing:

·
mason
119 Posts
Had a guy call me told me his dad died thats why he missed the last to days. Few days later another no show I call his home his mom answers I tell her how sorry I am for her loss. She replys Loss? about a minute of silence didnt know what to say. Never seen the guy agian.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
www.aa-sia.org
or
www.aa-nia.org

if you can see its getting bad dont feel guilty,let em go. sometimes you have to lose everything. I could start and maintain an entire thread of the things ive done to bosses/friends/family put up with until i got sober.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've come down with many sever cases of "Bottle Fever" still went to work though!

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
I would suggest though that if he is a good worker give him a choice to do something about his problem or find a new job.

Now,this is the law in some states,I believe.Also being from the other side,( 20+ years ago)I was not given that opportunity and lost a very good job because of it.The man is sick with a fatal disease and should at least be given the chance to make himself right.IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts