Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Sure....pass out cards, be polite, do not talk exact pricing, and never assume that when a booth visitor tells you they will be contacting you, that they will.

I do not write down names anymore....if they want you, then will have your card and call you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you only have a 10x10 spot I would keep it simple. Get a display,table with literate and samples. A back drop with pictures from jobs or get it printed with your company name and logo.

This will be easy to set up and tear down.

You could get back drops on eBay pretty cheap. Just type in Trade Show on eBays search.

(Picture is an example I found on the net) Not my display

We been handing out magnetic calenders the last 4 years. You could get 300 for around $100. You just stick a business card to them.
300 usually lasts through 2 shows. We don't set them out right in the isle were anybody walking by could just throw them in there bag. We put them in the back on a table with the literature. We get calls from them months later.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Joasis~

Although I know a few who do the same as you had mentioned, my thoughts are if you're spending the money to do these shows,...and I'm not sure how much an 8x10 or 10x20 goes for in your neck of the woods, but...if I'm dumping between $800.00-$2,000.00 for being able to expose my company to 1,000's of prospects over a span of 2-3 days--my thoughts are I'd want to maximize my results, get and retain as much info. on EVERYONE that stops by your display and either create a database with all of that information for immediate marketing purposes--or simply to hit the phones first thing Monday after the show to generate some leads.

That's in all reality the purpose of doing these shows, right?

Nothing amazes me more than to look either across from me or to the left or the right of my booth, and to see the guy who's sitting in his chair, face buried in his crossword book or the newspaper while loads of people are walking by.

Dress decent,....be courteous,.....make eye contact,.....don't give off the appearance that you hate being there, hate life, etc,.....Personally I don't bring a chair, so I'm always on my feet,....and be ready to assist and answer any questions that might get thrown at you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I didn't say work a crossword puzzle.

I build a display of ICF's and have a nice booth and presentation. After doing this for several years, I know not to write down names of everyone that says they are interested, and then call after the show. This may be a marketing strategy for siding and windows, but not homes, IMHO.

Serious prospects will make a few return visits, will discuss specific details of a home, ask about plans, ask for numbers of clients for references, want contact information for an architect or designer, or better yet, will show up later or the next day with a set of plans. These are golden contacts, and I get a few every year. I sell one or two homes for every home show, but pass out maybe 500 cards and fliers.

The people who wander by, ask what the product is, pick up a brochure and a card and toss them in a bag from a siding company are not serious about anything.

I am sure there are varied experiences but this is how it goes in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joasis~

Although I know a few who do the same as you had mentioned, my thoughts are if you're spending the money to do these shows,...and I'm not sure how much an 8x10 or 10x20 goes for in your neck of the woods, but...if I'm dumping between $800.00-$2,000.00 for being able to expose my company to 1,000's of prospects over a span of 2-3 days--my thoughts are I'd want to maximize my results, get and retain as much info. on EVERYONE that stops by your display and either create a database with all of that information for immediate marketing purposes--or simply to hit the phones first thing Monday after the show to generate some leads.

Nothing amazes me more than to look either across from me or to the left or the right of my booth, and to see the guy who's sitting in his chair, face buried in his crossword book or the newspaper while loads of people are walking by.

Dress decent,....be courteous,.....make eye contact,.....don't give off the appearance that you hate being there, hate life, etc,.....Personally I don't bring a chair, so I'm always on my feet,....and be ready to assist and answer any questions that might get thrown at you.

Good Luck!
Handy:

I was gonna not bring any brochures just business cards. My thought where if they want a brochure they can just give me their name and address and we can mail one out first thing monday am.

I figured doing that i would cut down on tire kickers and give them something in exchange for their info?

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
A couple of shots from our last home show a couple of years ago.

Looks like Walker and I had the same idea for gutter guard display. Running water attracts men and kids better than candy.

I've already been busted on another forum for the color and signage. I expect the home show display police will show up shortly to correct the issues for you.

I'm in the camp that says collect the names and addresses with a good follow up plan. Between building/setting up/tearing down the display and manning it over the weekend we invested over 4k for the show.

Good rules to consider;

No eating or sitting at the booth.
Someone should be present every minute the show is open.
Look your best at all times.

Good luck with this, hope it works well for you. I really enjoyed the shows myself and plan on doing it again this year.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I see a lot of people put candy or something else to entice people to come to your booth. The problem with this is most people put it right at the end of the booth on a table and all people need to do is grab it and keep walking. When we did our last one, we put the candy up on a table in the back corner so if people really wanted some free candy, they had to walk to the back of the booth. This helped make contact with people a lot more possible than the walk by candy eaters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also like to collect names. Last year we did our first home show and it worked out great. We created a clipboard with a short quote request form. If people were interested we told them to fill it out, and in the end we had a stack of leads. We also had candy in the back of the booth and it enticed people to come in.

We do general remodeling, but built a couple mock walls with vinyl and fiber-cement. Everyone loved asking about the fiber-cement but strangely enough all the jobs we got from the show were for interior remodeling, basements, etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
These are from the NH Home builders & Remodelers Show last March.
The black on the back wall is made of the soft side Velcro, I am able to attach pictures or whatever to it.
It sets up in about an hour.
It is made from 5, 24"x96" plywood panels for easy movement and setup.
I have one of those picture frames that stores hundreds of pictures in it going at all times on a loop, not all perfect pictures but they show jobs at different stages.
I also keep references on hand, take names and try to set appointment then and there, that will weed out the "tire kickers" but i still take names for a data base.
I made fliers a few years ago on "powerpoint" brought it to kinkos and they printed them cheap.
I do two a year, one coming up on Jan 22-24 in Manchester

Home Show 3-6-09 001.jpg

Home Show 3-6-09 004.jpg

Home Show 3-6-09 003.jpg

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Sure....pass out cards, be polite, do not talk exact pricing, and never assume that when a booth visitor tells you they will be contacting you, that they will.

I do not write down names anymore....if they want you, then will have your card and call you.
That's a flawed system, read below

Joasis~

Good Luck!
We go a step further.

We get their name, phone number, email and product interest. Then we set the appointment right then and there. The next day we call and confirm that BOTH parties will be present at the aforementioned date and time. 75% stick and we get a lead per hour per demonstrator minimum

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
That's a flawed system, read below

We go a step further.

We get their name, phone number, email and product interest. Then we set the appointment right then and there. The next day we call and confirm that BOTH parties will be present at the aforementioned date and time. 75% stick and we get a lead per hour per demonstrator minimum
What can you assume from my post? I build homes and steel buildings....commercial work. When I do a home show, I am selling an ICF residence, not a siding job, or replacement windows.

Perhaps, we should have a thread about a "target audience" and what we do differently. What works for you is great, and I know what works for me. If I did what you do, I would not sell a home.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Handy:

I was gonna not bring any brochures just business cards. My thought where if they want a brochure they can just give me their name and address and we can mail one out first thing Monday am.

I figured doing that i would cut down on tire kickers and give them something in exchange for their info?

We have a ballot box on the table they fill a card out with there information if they want an appointment.
We also have clipboards to take down there information and set an appointment date. If they don't want to set an appointment at the show we always tell them we will be calling them Monday to set one up.

We staple are business cards to every brochure we put out even though our brochures have our company info printed on them.

We noticed if you just give them a card it usually is thrown in there bag which is full of stuff. It might get stuck in between pages of other brochures or just thrown out. Thats why we use the magnetic calenders instead of just a plain business card. I would definitely hand out something more then your business card.

Definitely try to get names.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
What can you assume from my post? I build homes and steel buildings....commercial work. When I do a home show, I am selling an ICF residence, not a siding job, or replacement windows.

Perhaps, we should have a thread about a "target audience" and what we do differently. What works for you is great, and I know what works for me. If I did what you do, I would not sell a home.

The OP is in the gutter business. My comment was staying within that context. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts