Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my day was so hard for first portion of they day. i was bending copper for a chimney and also makeing some custom drip edge because the house was f'ed up. and the hole time the homeowner was practicly humping my leg watching me. and asking me retarded questions. i didnt know what to do. i dont think there is any pollitcly corect way to say look get out of my face so i can concentrate. or is there. all i need is to piss him off and him call my boss and say how much of an ******* i am. just curious if anyone else finds people lurking over them a problem?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Offer to buy them a soda. IF, they go get it. BUT it must come from a certain store. Then pick the fartherest one away.

Another thing would be to send them for a tool that you know that you do not have. Just make sure they don't have one either.:laughing:

Or you could just tell them to leave you alone nicely. Tell them the boss has told you that you not supposed to talk with anybody while you are working.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Happens all the time. It's a real diplomatic tradesman who is able to get them off your ankle, and not appear rude.
PS-Tell your boss what is happening and let him decide how you should handle it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,674 Posts
Here, hold this. Go get me that. Would you mind holding the end of the tape? Hand this to me after I get up the ladder. If that doesn't get him to leave you get a free helper.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Sometimes you have to dig down and find patiance. Some jobs you can use the safety factor to clear the work area. We have one customer that we work for regularly. he likes to hang around for everything, He also hates anything that smells toxic, so when the plumber is working if he has had enough he opens a can of pvc cleaner, the guy heads for the hills every time. G

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
try doing a frame job where the homeowner put his own foundation in... is 1" out of level in 6 feet normal??
I had a client hire me to help him frame his house (PWF all wood basement on piles of gravel for footing, but that's another story), he did all the layout, I was just a nail banger. Came time to lay the sub floor in the second floor, place was out 3-4 inches over 12 feet. :eek:

I ran far, far away before it came time to put the trusses on.:shifty:

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Offer to buy them a soda. IF, they go get it. BUT it must come from a certain store. Then pick the fartherest one away.

Another thing would be to send them for a tool that you know that you do not have. Just make sure they don't have one either.:laughing:

Or you could just tell them to leave you alone nicely. Tell them the boss has told you that you not supposed to talk with anybody while you are working.
You just created a monster LOL LOL. Next thing you know he's running around the job with your level and swingin a hammer. In the end he wants a deduction for his labor. :clap::clap:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I make it a point to 'need' to go the same direction they are hovering from me. I turn and suddenly have to stop and say, "Excuse me." After 10 or 12 times, if they haven't gotten the message, I just tell them, "You know, I priced this job for only so many hours of labor. If you continue to be in my way, I'm going to have to charge you for another 2 hours because you're slowing me down."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
lmao!! i could only imagine him being my helper, no thanx. the dude today was bragging about his tap measure being better then mine because it labled his eigths and sixteenths, i said well that is great but i know them all by heart and i cant see the lines on your tape. then i think he decided i was the all knowing master craftsman and decided he was going to learn everything from me the 2 hours i was using a break. and im new to bending metal, it still confuses me at times so it was making my blood presure go up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
my day was so hard for first portion of they day. i was bending copper for a chimney and also makeing some custom drip edge because the house was f'ed up. and the hole time the homeowner was practicly humping my leg watching me. and asking me retarded questions. i didnt know what to do. i dont think there is any pollitcly corect way to say look get out of my face so i can concentrate. or is there. all i need is to piss him off and him call my boss and say how much of an ******* i am. just curious if anyone else finds people lurking over them a problem?
Thats residential work for you! There is no jobsite
your "jobsite" is someones home.
Keep in mind the fact that some HO's actually work in "airconditioned cubicles" but they may not necessarally(intentional misspelling) be idiots.
P.S I make most mistakes when I am being watched

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,442 Posts
I'm with Sparky - " Thank you, excuse me, thank you again, I understood what you want, thank you, I'll let you know when will be done"....And HO quit the scene..

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
During one of the HOs questions, pull out your knife to brake some metal, then as you sqeeze off a couple of ketchup packs with your back to him, act as if you gashed your hand with the blade. Should get him out of your hair after you tell him it happened because you were distracted by him.:whistling

·
Registered
370 Posts
During one of the HOs questions, pull out your knife to brake some metal, then as you sqeeze off a couple of ketchup packs with your back to him, act as if you gashed your hand with the blade. Should get him out of your hair after you tell him it happened because you were distracted by him.:whistling
That can backfire..
HO or neighbor might have an OSHA approved first aid kit that has never been opened.....
you might have a splinter in your hand while they crack your ribs with CPR.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts