Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
90%-er
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see any code violations here? :thumbup:

And yes, this was one of several "holes" cut the exact same way. And yes, there was a jacuzzi tub above this section. And yes, the joists HAD started to sink into the dining room below.

Got called out to quote a "joist repair." Came in to find this. Had no interest in spending any more time in that dining room than absolutely necessary. The new homeowner came home from work on the second day of owning the house to find half his dining room ceiling on the table below. Started peeling back drywall and found this little cluster*@^&.

Also included, at no extra cost to you, drain pipes pitched the wrong way, T's where there should be Y's, and a whole host of other maaajor liabilities!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'd not be too quick to paint it a "homeowner special". While it could be, it also could more likely be a "handyman special". While there are indeed handymen out there that could build a complete house from the ground up, most that I've had the experience of following were, well, like your pic.

There's a whole handyman network that usually involves a relative or friend and their work usually looks like that. Or just a relative/friend who is pretty "handy". ;)

·
Registered
Remodel
32,241 Posts
At least they used purple primer on that piping.

Around here, that repair would require a permit. A lot of times I'll pull permit history while I'm at it, just to see - I can't imagine that passed rough inspection.

·
90%-er
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At least they used purple primer on that piping.

Around here, that repair would require a permit. A lot of times I'll pull permit history while I'm at it, just to see - I can't imagine that passed rough inspection.
Hasn't been a permit pulled since air conditioning was installed in 2007. And there's no way that has been like that since 2007; the pvc is dated 2008

·
90%-er
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd not be too quick to paint it a "homeowner special". While it could be, it also could more likely be a "handyman special". While there are indeed handymen out there that could build a complete house from the ground up, most that I've had the experience of following were, well, like your pic.

There's a whole handyman network that usually involves a relative or friend and their work usually looks like that. Or just a relative/friend who is pretty "handy". ;)
True. Another strong indicator : All the pieces were individually marked with price tags. That isn't normal at a plumbing supply shop, right?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I really don't the problem with that. Of course it's nighttime, I'm wearing sunglasses, and I'm looking at it 1000 miles away :laughing:. I guess the bright side is it will be a nice job for you.

·
90%-er
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might as well get some more opinions on this.

Our plan to tackle this was to temporarily remove all the plumbing that's in the way of the 3 damaged joists, then open up a section the exterior wall on one side of the room and slide in new joists from the outside.

They're near 16 foot spans and I couldn't figure a way to sister in new joists that long without pushing them in full length from the outside.

Of course we'd have a plumber come back and get things in order properly once we're finished.

Am I over-thinking the method here?

·
Registered
Remodel
32,241 Posts
You only need 1.5" of bearing on the ends - you have enough room on a 2X4 wall to get those in with adequate bearing. In reality, structural repair of the existing joists wouldn't add any bearing, it would just use the existing joist. I've done a number of these that weren't full length sistered.

Or you could do this:

http://www.metwoodstore.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts