Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I say weaved valleys are chit. They do nothing more for watertightness that wrapped valleys. They just look awful.

I cannot say, still, if the valley is done correctly. If it isnt leaking, it may be done correctly. If it is leaking, it is not done correctly.

This is a cricket, as it diverts water to exit the roof where they all tie together and make a dead valley, at least would have made a dead valley.

I think if it were my house, and decided I would shingle it:

1. Shingle up to the transition that turns into the valley.
2. Flash the side which consists of a fascia board and counterflash
3. Lay ice shield in full length sheets perpendicular to the main flow of water (which is coming towrd me in the pic you sent), covering the entire cricket, and continuing 2' up the adjoining slopes
4. Carry the low side shingle head up into the cricket area
5. Start your first shingle on the cricket side centered and placed, but no nails in the valley. You can nail this shingle up at the tops on either side.
6. Second course of shingles would be butted in the center of the valley with no nails through the normal nail line....you would want to nail this course with the next course's normal nail pattern.
7. Make the steeper sloped roofs your dubbed sides with the cut.

I would feel better with mod bit in a two layer configuration. your average shingler will not know how to install this properly AND make all transitions purty.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Big old ice dam waiting to happen. I would tear off install 2 layers of 1.5 inch ISO staggering the seams from valley to valley. go to get a valley spill pan made for the runoff area extenting at least 5 feet up the slope and 2 feet up each valley. glue down 60 mil reinforced EPDM. i would use a 3 tab shingle if you do plan to sell Because it is less expensive and they are still good shingles. I would recomend Timberline if you were staying. 15# shinglemate felt or fiberglass reinforced felt is better than 30# in my opinion and does not cost much more. The 2 layers of ISO is just to add some r-value to your roof you may be able to get away with 1/2 inch fiberboard depending on current insulation and climate conditions. I would however check into EPDM rubber it is seamless just make sure it is completely glued down. As far as the spill pan goes any sheetmetal shop can fabricate one. I would put one in no matter what roofing system you use.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mr. DaveP,

Here in N. CA, that is called a cricket. Shingles can be applied as low as 2/12 roof pitch, but the UBC states anything under 4 inches of pitch should have 2 layers of #15 minimum. I'd just use Grace all the way around the chimney including the cricket to at least 2 feet out. The way its roofed right now looks fine to me, unless there is leaking or a flashing issue. The California cut is also referred to as a 1/2 laced valley (the roofing world has different lexicons). I use this method on all valleys, unless I get some nitwit homeowner who thinks metal is the only answer. I would guess the resale value of your home would be higher if you went with a laminated shingle vs. 3-tab. I use a minumum #30 ASTM felt underlayment on all my roofs, and also Grace on the eaves and rakes in heavy duty snow country. I have used SBS underlayments in lieu of Grace in areas whre the snowfall is about non-existent. I use a Senco nail gun which sets the nail perfectly everytime. I really dont think the manufacturer is a big issue since we all have our own preferences. The real issue is your choice of contractor. 3 bids is realistic, but I'd get 3 bids from the creme of the crop and ask for some references. One thing I stress when bidding, is the cheapest price is not always the best way to go. A good roofing contractor will tell you he's heard that homeowner wail more times than he can count. Happy roofing.

Best regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gun or hand nail is about the same (no staples). The wire "burrs" on coil nails can interfere with the ice & water shield's seal around the fastener shaft...very rare. I have only seen this in ski areas with tremendous snow loads and ice dams. Not a problem in NC.
OC Oakridge 30's are architectural shingles.
Architectural shingles are NOT $20-32/sq more than 3-tabs. The $8-15/sq upgrade to architectural shingles is worth it....you will get this all back when you sell.
the cricket is OK w/APP Torched. 2 layers of Grace Ice & Water Shield and shingles will work for your cricket in North Carolina.
I use 30# and Grace.
Jim
I'm with jmorgan on this one. Gun or Hand Nail for attaching shingles during a Roof Replacement or Roof installation just as long as you don't use staples.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,201 Posts
I was going to ban the OP but he was asked the question before I was even a member :LOL:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.