Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hand nail or nail gun for the shingles?? Am I sacrifing quality of work by having contractor use a nail gun? My house is 2500 sq/ft. If I ask for hand nailing, should I expect to pay an upcharge? If so, how much???

Owens Corning/Oakridge PRO 30 Series shingles (from Lowes) are what will be used and quoted by 3 different contractors. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I have a small area on my roof where a "cricket" was built and the pitch is less than 3/12, is a modified bitumen roof/torch applied the best way to go ??? If so, ask the roofer to use Firestone APP160 and lay down a layer felt first???

Is an Architectural shingle that much better AND worth the extra $$$ ($500-800)? Versus a 3 tab shingle. I'll be selling the house and moving due to job transfer in 3-5 years.

15lb or 30lb felt? (I'm leaning towards 30lb)

For Ice & Water shield, going to request Grace's I&W. Agree??

Thanks for any and all feedback. Great Forum for newbies like me.

DaveP

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jmorgan-
Are you saying that the cricket would be fine with just 2 layers of I&W and shingles??? That the APP is not a "must" or is perhaps overkill??? I've been told that anything under 3/12 really should have a bitumen roof. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have posted a pic of the cricket. The light colord shingles are of a new roof of a screened in patio recently added to my home. The cricket "joins" the old roof to the new roof of the patio.

Again, many thanks for everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grumpy-

If you are not a fan of OC shingles, can you suggest a couple of brands/mfg that are "good value" or an equal subsitute that you like better for same amount of $$$. The quote to reroof my home is $5500 and I'd like not spend much more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then is a modified bitumen ok for my "pocket" area. Or should I go with shingles with Grace I&W? Again. the slope is less than 3/12 has some flat areas.

Also, I've told a California cut was used on the new shingles. Good thing or bad thing???

One contractor told me the shingles should be "weaved" in the valleys rather than "california" cut. Agree? Disagree??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grumpy & Jmorgan-

Many, many, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your feedback is very helpful. Now its time to talk with my roofer.

Grumpy- If I make it back to the North Shore, you will be my first call for any roofing issues and repairs.

Guys, Happy New Year and thanks again.

Dave P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.