Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,my name is bill,im a painter/carpenter.recently,i was on the internet,and i saw this add,from someone looking for a contractor,to work with.next thing,i get a call from this woman,named becky,telling me about home advisor.she wanted me to join for 3 months at a discount.this was supposed to get me leads for work.its been almost 2 weeks,and nothing.they suppose to send me a link to set up a website.does anyone out there,know how this works.if you do,could you please email me at [email protected] i paid $69.99 for a month,and its like,im left in the dark.i would really appreciate any help,i could get.thanks much bill.maybe someone has used them,and can,fill me in.thanks much.bill.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can go ahead and tell you that people are going to tell you that your post is very hard to read. Too many periods and not enough paragraphs.

To answer your question I personally havent used them but if paid for it and havent got a call back I would be trying to contact them. Especially 2 weeks into a 4 week plan.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I can go ahead and tell you that people are going to tell you that your post is very hard to read. Too many periods and not enough paragraphs.

To answer your question I personally havent used them but if paid for it and havent got a call back I would be trying to contact them. Especially 2 weeks into a 4 week plan.
I understood the post just fine. But I don't think he want's to hear my opinion .But here it goes ....If you can't make a name for yourself..Your pretty much f$cked . It will be A cold day in hell before I ask some interweb thingy to send me a lead for a job! No Thanks!

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
blacktop said:
I understood the post just fine. But I don't think he want's to hear my opinion .But here it goes ....If you can't make a name for yourself..Your pretty much f$cked . It will be A cold day in hell before I ask some interweb thingy to send me a lead for a job! No Thanks!

Just a quick story, I will share with you. that isn't about home advisor

It may be that no ones using Home advisor right now because of the holidays.

When I first started out in business, my first job for my company was a 9000 sq. ft. Home to frame. I went on to frame three others after that. I had a great crew and didn't want to lose them. So I put an add in the paper for decks and patio covers. To keep my guys busy until my next build that was about three weeks away. Mind you this was 13 years ago and the paper was still a good ad choice. Well the deck end of that just took off, my phone rang off the hook. I haven't looked back and decking has been a integral part of my business ever since. So ads worked for me, then. They are more effective with niches.

I don't think I would use home advisor simply put, I'm not into paying for leads I get from someone else. I don't mind paying for leads generated directly from my own adds. This way they can be directed to my website. I haven't payed to advertised in many years but I get 100% of my work from the internet. All referrals for me started out as an internet call.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sucker.

They called me within a couple days of when I registered as a contractor. Not sure if the registration board or my insurance sold them my name or number but they lost me at hello.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Otis- I doubt many people are buying right now with the holidays.

Lee- Roof replacement used to be $60. Repairs were like $12 and Exact Match like $80. Exact Match means they looked at the reviews and chose you to call.

It's different than a website. People can look at the reviews and compare to the others on the same site so for shoppers it's a plus. Not many people IMO actually search reviews independently from website to website.

My advise to anyone getting hooked up with HO:
1. Have the leads texted to you.
2. Call the people back immediately.
3. Encourage every customer to review you.

Like Adwords,the leads are almost immediate and there is a track record from previous years based on your zip codes you can determine your area by how many leads you need.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I had the good luck to watch my buddy get sucked in by their BS.

They sure did send him a bunch of "leads".

He paid and bitched often. So I told him to give me some of the numbers and I would call them as a representative of his Co.

7 leads. 7 timely and professional calls. ..................nothin'! Not even a callback. NOTHIN"!

By my math it ended up costing $350 for jack chit.

And that was just a month of "leads".

We both do large-scale remods, additions and customs, so it may be different for service plumbers, painters etc. But that was just my experience.

Bear down, provide exceptional value, eat some chit along the way, keep grinding........build a reputation......hunt/fish often, go see an opera occasionally. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow, those prices are a bit high. Even with a decent close ratio those prices are outrageous. I'm not opposed to lead services altogether, but they have to take sense financially. In the interest of full discloser, I have never used Home Advisor but I have used thumb tack and Redbeacon for roof leads.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It doesn't work for everyone I get that. If I was in a pinch I'd sign back up, follow my steps and reap the benefits, again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Roofcheck said:
It doesn't work for everyone I get that. If I was in a pinch I'd sign back up, follow my steps and reap the benefits, again.
Do you know what your average close rate was when using HA?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I wouldn't mind paying $100 plus bucks for a lead but they had an endless supply of crappy leads. What i found interesting is mo matter how many leads you wanted they somehow were able to manufacture ehh hem i mean supply them

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
Patrick said:
I wouldn't mind paying $100 plus bucks for a lead but they had an endless supply of crappy leads. What i found interesting is mo matter how many leads you wanted they somehow were able to manufacture ehh hem i mean supply them
You know that's an interesting comment. What would keep them from manufacturing a certain percent of leads?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I don't understand the bogus leads. If you get a lead and you can't get with them you get it back as a credit.

A lot has to do with timing the return call immediately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for sharing... I have been with HA since Sept of 2010. I primarily subscribe to their Handyman lead tasks. The average cost per lead is 15.25 for a market match and about 19 for an exact match.

My monthly budget with them is 1000.00. My ROI (return on investment) ranges between 350 to 500%, depending on seasonality. My conversion rate on the leads i receive has been an average of 48% in the past 3 years.

While HA is not for everyone, I encourage those who are interested to respond quickly to the leads they receive. Moreover, when speaking with a customer, try to sound enthusiastic about their project. It does not require you to be a master salesperson... But a little enthusiasm/excitment about your customer's project puts you ahead of your competitors.

Also, if no one repsonds to the lead immediately, do not get discouraged. Leave a prompt and detailed message... Then call again later.

If you receive a lead that is outside your scope/expertise or a task that is not within your skill or geographic area, don't panic and throw the towel. Contact the HA at 1877-947-3639 and submit the lead for a credit review. 85% of the leads i submitted for credit review, got approved!

For those who are interested in further testimony, feel free to contact me at 408-644-4379. I'd love to assist you with any questions you may have. you are also welcome to visit my profile at Superior Home Solutions.

Regards,
Jack Haddad
www.superiorhomesolutions.net
www.superhomeinspections.net

1 - 20 of 24 Posts