Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make there own bed slide? If so can you share info? I need one and im too cheap to pay a grand for one so figure I could just build my own. Any info/plans/pictures would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I made about 8 of them and they all failed. The reason was the weight and the bounce of the truck destroyed them. I tried garage door track to 2xs to angle iron.

Finelly I found a extend o slide on CL for $500.:thumbup: I can pull it out to 8 feet and load it up heavy. Now that I seen the design, a person could easily make one. There are two 8' I beams that are needed to make it work. Thats the heart of the system to get full extension:thumbsup:. I just made a funny.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
This is with a gas compresser loaded on it. Its nice at the end of the day to slide it in and go home. No lifting. We run it right on the slide along with a generator.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
my gc bought one and had it installed upon purchasing his f250 2 years ago.. its been serviced several times the bed slide that is and needs it again.. cant imagine what a home made one wouild be like

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I made a bed slides back in the days I used pickup truck, I used TGI and 3/4 sides for the inside and some wheels on the bottoms to help the load, it worked great for many years!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I have two drawers and a 6' folding scaffold below a raised deck. also a 3'x3' sliding shelf.
The shelf can be pushed and pulled from the front of the bed with an 8' piece of elec conduit flattened and bent at a 90* angle. It also acts a a ''grabber/hook'' to pull tools/materials from front of bed.

The drawers just slide on the bedliner and the shelfslides on a rail. Raised plywood deck sits on 2x8's on the flat on liner cut-outs.

Had this system for about 12yrs, it could be improved upon.

Pics a little later this morning when I get to work.

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
The one on Fine Home building is nice. I never cared for a cap. I see the benefits but I always felt you lose the value of a pick up. Mind as well get a van.

I have to assume none of you cap or even van guys ever haul debris off sites.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Built this. Still working after 6 years. 2 sheet of 1/2" ply and 10 - 250# casters, rest was "leftovers".
Side rails are spaced at 49" (see gap at sidewalls).
You can just make out on left corner an eyebolt that the tiedown on the floor hooks to, prevents unexpected downhill operation !

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
My first boss had a setup which included three full-length drawers sandwiched in between two sheets of 3/4 ply. As I recall the drawers were probably 7 or 8 inches tall. The weight in the other two drawers was enough to keep the whole thing from tipping. It fit snug in between the wheel wells and was only about an inch shorter than the bed to allow pulls. All the hand tools and other miscellaneous items would go in them. Obviously, the stuff we used more was closer to the front, and all 3 drawers were set up with dividers to keep like items together. The power tools went in the sides of his cap, the kind of cap which had two lift up doors on each side. Anything bigger that wouldn't fit in those sides (shop vac, compressor, etc) would sit on top of the pull out drawers.

·
Registered
491 Posts
My first boss had a setup which included three full-length drawers sandwiched in between two sheets of 3/4 ply. As I recall the drawers were probably 7 or 8 inches tall. The weight in the other two drawers was enough to keep the whole thing from tipping. It fit snug in between the wheel wells and was only about an inch shorter than the bed to allow pulls. All the hand tools and other miscellaneous items would go in them. Obviously, the stuff we used more was closer to the front, and all 3 drawers were set up with dividers to keep like items together. The power tools went in the sides of his cap, the kind of cap which had two lift up doors on each side. Anything bigger that wouldn't fit in those sides (shop vac, compressor, etc) would sit on top of the pull out drawers.
This is exactly the system I built a few years ago and have been using ever since. I could not function without my drawers now. I recently bought an enclosed trailer that hauls my break, miter saw, table saw etc, but I can't give up my drawers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.