Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, you're out in public displaying your services. What's so wrong about talking price? We are debating this now.

Facts - We have the best price, We have the best product, No other competitor in our market can beat us (right now).

You know it's the most common question, you get.

What's the harm in giving a starting price. Example: (Our __________ start at $______.) Depending on the options you choose and your particular job circumstances, it goes up from there.

People just get pissed off when you give them the standard responses so common in our business.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can see it working as a "prequalifying" techinique, but you never know who you may scare off, or even lose as a potential customer by just tossing them a price for them to mull around....Talk to them a bit, develop a rapor and take it from there.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If your business revolves around being the lowest priced provider then talk the hell out of price.

If your business model is Walmart, mimic them.

Attract those price conscious customers by talking price.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
So, you're out in public displaying your services. What's so wrong about talking price? We are debating this now.

Facts - We have the best price, We have the best product, No other competitor in our market can beat us (right now).

You know it's the most common question, you get.

What's the harm in giving a starting price. Example: (Our __________ start at $______.) Depending on the options you choose and your particular job circumstances, it goes up from there.

People just get pissed off when you give them the standard responses so common in our business.

Educate your (potential) customers to why they should pay for your services. If you market price, explain to them why your price is best. If you market completion time, explain to them how you can complete the job faster. If you market superior materials, explain to them what makes your materials better.

HOWEVER, you should know giving complete pricing site unseen can be detrimental to your bid. To me, there's nothing worse than getting a client excited about your bid only having to increase it because you found out the job was more complex than you originally thought. I feel that is a disadvantage to giving any kind of pricing upfront. Seems, the numbers only get larger the longer they talk to you. That can sour any client pretty quick.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If he is selling on low price, he doesn't necessarily have to talk to somebody at the show and say your job will be $xxxx.xx.

On the contrary, if he is selling on low price he should just emphasis that through his materials and booth display. Show a super low price special based on a very specific installation. If you're all about low price, then show it off. Do a show special of $xxxx.xx which is empathizing a super low price.

The long and the short of it, is everything he markets with at the show should emphasize his low price over his competitors.

People don't get pissed off as he says, that's what advertising is for, get them interested and set the appointment. If you're the low price guy you emphasis that, set the hook and set the appointment.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
That's pretty much what I said.

If you read the original post, he mentioned talking price at the show. My warning was giving them a price site-unseen at the show and then there being a cost increase later at their home.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I understand what you're saying Angus, and you bring a valid point.

We just did a couple shows, and it's kind of funny,...there's always the guy with the neon sign above his window that reads "$199.99 any size double hung window installed", and as many shows as I've personally done, I'll bet $1000.00 dollars I set at least twice to triple the amount of leads that guy sets (and I know this, because you tend to get to know the people working the booths after doing so many shows with the same competitors.)

Reason why? I try to EDUCATE the consumer, 1st and foremost. I'll TELL them it's always best to compare apples to apples. That in itself releaves them of being scared of the strong arm sales pitch.

And sure, I'll tell them that sure, the guy is advertising the price at $199.99 per window, but keep in mind, i know of a similiar business offering the same deal,...although when they get in your house, it's "Oh,...you'd like grids in your windows? Well that will be an additional $100.00 per window. You want an insulated sash? Well, there's more to add. And by the way, we'll be charging you $35.00 to dispose of each of your old windows that we'll be replacing". (And this isn't a lie, I pulled a sales contract offline from a salesman working for one of these cheap-window outfits=it's all about the upsell.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Mike. If your business is based on the lowest price, I would definitely be marketing the price at the show. You are trying to attract those interested in the lowest price.

However, if your business is based on something other than price, for example high quality products or labor, you will need to sell that first. In that case, don't talk price until the end of your presentation.

Regards,
Annette

·
Registered
497 Posts
One of the best salesmen I ever knew told me forty years ago, "If you want to make a sale, tell them everything you want them to know BEFORE you quote the price because once they hear price, they don't listen."

Think about people who call you on the phone and ask price. If you comply, what do they say? "Ok, thanks, we'll get back with you" or something close.

80% of people buy on emotion, backed by logic. If you only talk price, you are only giving them the logical side. No sale.

Talking price might work on the other 20% who buy on logic, backed by emotion. You tell them a price, they say "Tell me more, what do I get for that?

So if you only want to sell 20% then it's a great idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts