Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Well you probably won't take my advice but I do at least two every year.

You want the booth to feel open so with such a small area you have (it will feel up quickly) you may only have room for a shingle rack, a literature rack and a table.

Stand during the show and engage your potential customers. Say hello when they walk by. This may sound like common sense but the last show we did three weeks ago the guy across from us did siding. He sat the whole time and had his head in a book. We got more quality leads the first day of the show than people we saw him talk to the whole show.

It's a good idea to have an iPad or tv loaded with pictures on it. Use all your hands on experience as an advantage because a lot of people who work home shows are just sales reps.

Keep the area clean as well, bring a vacuum or broom to have with you the duration of the show. Don't do any giveaways.

Don't give out candy. You don't want people taking candy making small talk while you miss out on someone to talk to. Your serious potential buyers don't care about candy.

You should be doing the home show to earn business, not just get your name out there. Make sure people know that not only will they see you there but also when you meet to quote the job. That's important because it's the first part of building trust so if you aren't the person to show up to quote, leave that out otherwise you already broke the trust.

The show we did in the middle of Feb has already generated over 100 in sales and there's still snow on the ground and only been a handful of days above freezing so they definitely work. The more effort you put in, the more you get out.

Edit - I should also add we had roughly 20 other companies at the show offering the same services so you could even perform better without all the competition.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
And make sure to use all of that to your advantage. People go to these shows to learn something, not talk with sales reps who just need contact information.

One of the jobs I got (insulated siding ironically) went with me because I was the ONLY person at the home show they met that was the same person that followed up with them. They told me one large company called 8 times and every time it was somebody different who called. Those things are important to people.

Get a banner made that says something along the lines of "Over 20 years, same location, same phone number"

"Owner is your salesman, get direct answers"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts