Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several years now we have been building custom home and mostly people who bring plans to us to build but we are now looking to build in a couple subdivisions which means we have started looking at new plans. most of the websites which sell plans are a 1 use only

I did find the following website that allows multiple use for builders
http://www.designbasics.com/

so does anyone else hae websites they use or can recomend. We could get some drawn up but getting them online would be faster.

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Construction plans

roadgrime said:
For several years now we have been building custom home and mostly people who bring plans to us to build but we are now looking to build in a couple subdivisions which means we have started looking at new plans. most of the websites which sell plans are a 1 use only

I did find the following website that allows multiple use for builders
http://www.designbasics.com/

so does anyone else hae websites they use or can recomend. We could get some drawn up but getting them online would be faster.

thanks,
Chris
Hi, Chris
Here's my thought is that you find a local architect that you feel comfortable with or Drafting service. Depending on your area? Things that generic plans don't always take in to account are heavy snow loads, seismic conditions, hurricane winds and also special floor load conditions. List goes on and on. If they do these things there is a premium. You can usually purchase a reproducible set at a premium. With someone local you can get things tweaked as needed easily and the more you work with them you build a working relationship to help you out from time to time. My Architect has helped me out several times in a bind with building officals about loading conditions or a time my plumber drilled over sized holes in the joists that required engineering to remedy the situation. Then he did'nt charge me a dime! :cheesygri

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea good point. I guess its time to find a new architect since the one we use for our custom homes wants nothing to do with subdivision housing. (no bad feelings there he has a good thing going with the custom homes) I have talked to a couple who are open to reviewing plans that are purchased since we need to have engineering signoff before we submit for permits anyway but they dont have the bandwidth right now to come up with new designs at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts