Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Home owners Vs Builders

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Djea3 
#1 ·
Greetings, new business owner here. I have great relationships with successful builders, my homeowner side is slacking though. I would very much like to hear to opinions of everybody as to who you all place more value on. The builders who feed work at discounts, or the homeowners who seem fewer and further between. In addition, If the homeowners are providing you all with more success, what are some tips and tricks to seal that deal with these people who don't know what it take to install some of this finish work.

#2 ·
I don't work for builders and really don't focus on that type of work, but I do get jobs on occasion doing new construction window/door installs through the company that sold them the products. In homeowner work, referrals are the key. You work for someone, then work for their friend/co-worker, and so on building the network. Do quality work, do what you say you're going to do, and clean-up after yourself. Basically giving your customer more value for their dollar. And that does not mean you work cheap, but rather you give them better service and quality than the other contractor. That's what I do in a nutshell. I'm sure others will be along to give you their insight as well.

#6 ·
I do a lot of new construction but I make sure I bid on the project with the GC who is bidding for the job themselves. That way, if I win the job, I know I’ve made what I want to make instead of subbing to the sub or what not. Also, in my experience for the most part new construction is easier to work with. If problems come up, the other trades are generally still there or can be easily called back and can fix it.

I do do some renovation work too but I just think customer’s are hard to work with (not all but a lot) and I always find myself doing free things because I feel sorry for like them or whatever. At least with a building site, everyone knows it’s a business and what to expect.

#8 ·
I do do some renovation work too but I just think customer’s are hard to work with (not all but a lot) and I always find myself doing free things because I feel sorry for like them or whatever. At least with a building site, everyone knows it’s a business and what to expect.
None of my customers are hard to work for and they won't allow me to do anything for free.

After 33 years, I hope you’d have a bit of money or a happy retirement show for it too.
Don't plan on retiring, my customers won't let me and they get emergency contact numbers when I pass away on the job.

#16 ·
I have been in business 17 years and only paint and hang paper, my work is word of mouth, yes very slow and steady but it works. I have great customers, my pricing keep away those who i do not wish to work for. I only sub contract for one builder and he and I get along great, it is high end work and pricing is never an issue.

To the OP, you will do what you need to to get work rolling in steady, you will learn who you like working for and who you don't. Know your pricing and what you need to earn to stay in business and make a profit, don't jump on the promise of "future work".

In my world people don't know paint or care what type of roller cover we use, what primer is what etc. and your customers will not care what product or technique you use, or what tools you use etc.
Return calls, meet on time, be courteous, listen to what they want and what their concerns are, let them know you are listening. Once you get the job treat people right, be nice, clean up.
Do quality work and people will recognize the time involved.

#19 ·
Wow, very little love for builders here. My work has been primarily with 2 builders for the last 20 years. My estimate is almost always the only one in my trade, demo/framing/exterior trim. If I don't make money, not their fault. I do some work for homeowners, but it is always by referral. I half jokingly tell them when they refer me, let their friends know I am expensive.

#24 ·
With homeowners watch carefully WHO you want as a client. IT is much easier to not take a job if there are any red flags. Things to watch for
1. Those that seem to be more concerned with price than with ability. If they can't afford to pay reasonable scale then they should not be doing it. Not so concerned with material grades as with attitude here.
2. Look up liens and suits if the job is large. It is pretty easy to do and can save a lot of headache.
3. I don't work for any attorneys if I find out that they are or have the law degree. Those are the ones that tend not to pay or to make major grief. The only jobs I decided to take losses on were for attorneys. I learned.
4. Referrals for homeowners are the most important. I usually try and include some fairly minor nice little extra as a "freebee" and let them know it was because they are such a good customer to work with. Then ask that they let their friends know about me. Sometimes I even give a small discount if they can refer me to 4 friends that need work.
5.If any customer ever gets mad at you or has a major problem, then remember that is an opportunity to make $$$. Make them happy, even if it means doing a little something free. Make sure they know that YOU are paying for it....then make sure that they refer you to others. I made more money on unhappy customers (that were wrong to begin with) because I made them feel the win (but I didn't lose anything in the end).

Remember that many companies are paying 10% of total job value for sales and advertising. Find a way to keep that to ZERO and you can do very well even giving away a small percent from the profit side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.