Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you guys use homemade like a tool box or do you guys all buy for stores i think the homemade box shows off some craftsman ship lets see them

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have about 15 16x24 wood boxes in the trailer that hold tools on the shelf. o pictures right now. Just a simple rabbit joint box.

Cole

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes. I have several homemade boxes with scrap wood I've built tinkering around. I use 'em and love the look. I have 4 caddies.. 2 for tools and 2 for fasteners.

I've also built a few cedar boxes that take the place of milk crates.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've made several wood toolboxes over the years, but as I get older, my back prefers lighter boxes that are of the nylon bag variety. :)

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
I've made several wood toolboxes over the years, but as I get older, my back prefers lighter boxes that are of the nylon bag variety. :)
I don't have pictures or any boxes any more, but I've made ones with a cedar frame and 1/4 luaun nailed and glued (Titebond II or III). They're light and pretty weatherproof. The luaun you get now at $15 a sheet will delaminate - the good (water resistant / water proof) subfloor is something like $40 a sheet now, so it's a less attractive way to go.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I used to build all my boxes. But then I got into the dewalt tough boxes and never looked back. T

The problem I had after I built them was they were all different sizes , so they were hard to stack in the truck and weighed too much .

That's what's cool about festool and dewalt boxes is you can stack them in any order and are light.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
I hate woodworking of any kind. :laughing: I love my nylon tool bags.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I'm switching back from plastic and metal boxes and cloth bags to wood boxes I build. I'm also building my own sawhorses and saw stands and even my trailer shelving show that I have skills that set my work apart.

Here is a tool box from a 100 years ago when carpenter's tool box read like a resume without anyone needing to ask what they were capable of. I will be building boxes like this and some stackable stools that hold tools too.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Basswood, you dont happen to have some photos of your wooden tool boxes do you? I'd love to see them!
I have the two antique wooden tools boxes, but they stay at the shop. The design I am working on combines 3 designs I have found over the years with some of my own ideas.

The Tolpin inspired design:

http://thewoodhaven.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3883

The Katz design:

http://www.garymkatz.com/ChartsDrawings/tool_tote.html

The design on the left here:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fc/27/88/fc2788d7a3499f4da7d36eabc7508297.jpg

I'll post photos when I get it built. Maybe after I finish the stair rail I'm working on, if the next job is not ready yet.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
these are some of my favorite home made boxes. I believe these guys are from Brazil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts