Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure it saved me $700 over buying one, but that's not the reason I did it. This one has the advantage of only looking through one plastic lense to give me the clearest possible view. And I can replace it in a few seconds for about .20 cents. I also added a neck seal ring so that I never get anything blowing up in to my face. I built it around a bike helmet and added built in head phones.

Anyone else have pics of one they have built? Please sh Helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear

Helmet Personal protective equipment Outerwear Costume Sports gear

Helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle helmet Headgear Auto part
are.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Safety First, Not Death.

What kind of air psi are you running and any Breathing Air Filters??? :eek:

I use a full face respirator, with filters or positive psi depending on the job. That way if the compressor gives up or what not… I’m not breathing in a cloud of dust.

·
2,018 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hooked up to a hoby air. It provides about 7 cfms. I don't think the 6000 is air supplied. The problem I have with the commercial ones is that the main lense gets beat up so fast. Even with the tear offs that they want a dollar for you still can't see clearly after a short run. I see the Astro helmet, about $1000. does look like it has a plain flat main lense so that I could still cut my own. But it's a $1000.

·
2,018 Posts
I’m assuming Hobby Air is an ambient air compressor?
And is it Oil free? Does it have a pre-filter or out going filter?
The hood looks Good, But Air Filtration would be my concern.
Sorry to sound like a big brother, I don't want to see you go belly Up on the floor!
I think you got a good Idea there. :thumbup: Really!
I know what you mean with the tear a ways they suck.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the concern. The hobby air is an oil free electric fan box. It has a filter on it . I have never noticed any dust inside while I'm working. I havn't ever found my self coughing or any trouble at all. I think I'll look in to what kind of filters the commercial ones use. I wouldn't ever go with just a full face mask. It's nice to keep the dust away from your head and neck. I love the hoods.

·
2,018 Posts
“The visor on mine is not taped in. It slides in to the track from the side and is secured with a strip of foam. “

:thumbsup: The way you have to foam on the lens reminds me of a MSA full face respirator, and they have an inner lens and a foam seal that sets into a slot. The small plexi glass pieces can be stacked togheter (3 or 4 ea.) and placed into the foam. As you blast you can rip them out one at a time. There not tear a way but firm fitting Plexi glass. (Spelling ?)
I’ve used this type for over 12 years (with a hood on it), but they too are around $700. Just a note: 3M 6000 has one that is air feed but the set up is on the front, and the grit packs it to it, Bad design for blasting.
I got to say I have never tried a helmet type. I used to do lots of crawl through tanks on Navy Boats and they wouldn’t work, I’m looking at the 3M helmet. They're Big $$$. :eek: May be in a few jobs or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.