Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure it saved me $700 over buying one, but that's not the reason I did it. This one has the advantage of only looking through one plastic lense to give me the clearest possible view. And I can replace it in a few seconds for about .20 cents. I also added a neck seal ring so that I never get anything blowing up in to my face. I built it around a bike helmet and added built in head phones.

Anyone else have pics of one they have built? Please sh BETTERBLAST-MASK 004.jpg

BETTERBLAST-MASK 001.JPG

BETTERBLAST-MASK 002.jpg are.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Safety First, Not Death.

What kind of air psi are you running and any Breathing Air Filters??? :eek:

I use a full face respirator, with filters or positive psi depending on the job. That way if the compressor gives up or what not… I’m not breathing in a cloud of dust.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hooked up to a hoby air. It provides about 7 cfms. I don't think the 6000 is air supplied. The problem I have with the commercial ones is that the main lense gets beat up so fast. Even with the tear offs that they want a dollar for you still can't see clearly after a short run. I see the Astro helmet, about $1000. does look like it has a plain flat main lense so that I could still cut my own. But it's a $1000.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
The condition commonly known as Lymphoid Pneumonia is a result of breathing unfiltered, compressed air. :sad:

Keen makes affordable filters for your compressor.

·
2,018 Posts
I’m assuming Hobby Air is an ambient air compressor?
And is it Oil free? Does it have a pre-filter or out going filter?
The hood looks Good, But Air Filtration would be my concern.
Sorry to sound like a big brother, I don't want to see you go belly Up on the floor!
I think you got a good Idea there. :thumbup: Really!
I know what you mean with the tear a ways they suck.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the concern. The hobby air is an oil free electric fan box. It has a filter on it . I have never noticed any dust inside while I'm working. I havn't ever found my self coughing or any trouble at all. I think I'll look in to what kind of filters the commercial ones use. I wouldn't ever go with just a full face mask. It's nice to keep the dust away from your head and neck. I love the hoods.

·
2,018 Posts
“The visor on mine is not taped in. It slides in to the track from the side and is secured with a strip of foam. “

:thumbsup: The way you have to foam on the lens reminds me of a MSA full face respirator, and they have an inner lens and a foam seal that sets into a slot. The small plexi glass pieces can be stacked togheter (3 or 4 ea.) and placed into the foam. As you blast you can rip them out one at a time. There not tear a way but firm fitting Plexi glass. (Spelling ?)
I’ve used this type for over 12 years (with a hood on it), but they too are around $700. Just a note: 3M 6000 has one that is air feed but the set up is on the front, and the grit packs it to it, Bad design for blasting.
I got to say I have never tried a helmet type. I used to do lots of crawl through tanks on Navy Boats and they wouldn’t work, I’m looking at the 3M helmet. They're Big $$$. :eek: May be in a few jobs or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts