Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Been thinking bout doing home inspections part time on the side. Was wondering what's your thought? Is it worth it?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Are you asking is it worth it to become a home inspector on the side? or are you asking if its of value to have a home inspection when purchasing property.

Personally if its my house I want to know the home inspector does this for a living and knows what to look for, not that I am expecting them to find every little problem, but I want them to have basic knowledge of electrical, plubming, roofing ect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mikeswoods said:
that is not a side job---the insurance and other overhead would prevent that---
is it worth it in the since of full time with our current econ? I would like to transition to something less laborious

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
is it worth it in the since of full time with our current econ? I would like to transition to something less laborious
Overall, how's the RE resale market in Sac..... Also, what's your competition look like in the market... and you'll have all your start-up as you build relationships with realtors/clients etc.

Just considerations

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The good inspectors are the toughest ones that are more expensive and are hired by seller for a pre-listing inspection to correct what later inspectors could find and slow up the sale. The pre-purchase inspectors are referred by realtors to slide a sale though.

It all depends on what side of the fence you want to be on and how well you can straddle a picket fence.

Reactions: SmallTownGuy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
Overall, how's the RE resale market in Sac..... Also, what's your competition look like in the market... and you'll have all your start-up as you build relationships with realtors/clients etc. Just considerations
the market is good in the rich areas but ok in the middle to low income areas. I need to talk to some realtors to get an idea. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
concretemasonry said:
The good inspectors are the toughest ones that are more expensive and are hired by seller for a pre-listing inspection to correct what later inspectors could find and slow up the sale. The pre-purchase inspectors are referred by realtors to slide a sale though. It all depends on what side of the fence you want to be on and how well you can straddle a picket fence.
Def would want to be in the buyers side. I want to help buyers not rip them off

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
Think about how you're thinking about getting into this business. Easy entry and little commitment.

There's your competition.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I can't imagine that CA regulates the profession any less than others, so your best place to start thinking is to talk with the state agency that is in charge of the education and experience requirements that you will need to satisfy them enough to be legit.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
people in the trades move to being inspectors. it is the natural progression of the industry to become an inspector inspecting walls when you tire of building and lifting walls

1 - 12 of 12 Posts