Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a sorta reliable source that in the near future Home Depot will no longer be selling GAF. Home Depot is GAF's #1 customer. Supposedly they will be switching to owens corning so they can go heads up with Lowes.

I don't know if it's true but if it is, you heard it here first ;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Don't know about that, but they are having a sale on GAF.
I am currently working with a client who is a sales rep for stanley. He says he hates HD. They have dropped all Stanley hammers, they will soon sell estwing, and husky hammers only, oh and he thinks they might keep some vaughns.

He says HD is trying to get away from HO customers, and gear more toward contractors. :eek:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this, but I did see the other day that their three-tab shingles were 20% off or something like that.

Funny, all the roofers I see at the window/door/siding supply house all seem to be loading up at HD now...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Same sale here. $23 a bundle for Timberlines. Although when you order roof top delivery, they come from our supplier United Products or ABC supply. Not sure about the pricing with them because we order Landmarks.

Another supplier near us is getting out of Certainteed and going with IKO.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I noticed the whiter bags also. Very little blue on them.

Local building inspector says the Timberlines from HD are thinner than from anywhere else. I call BS, because they come from the same distributer.....United or Mannions

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Same sale here. $23 a bundle for Timberlines. Although when you order roof top delivery, they come from our supplier United Products or ABC supply. Not sure about the pricing with them because we order Landmarks.

Another supplier near us is getting out of Certainteed and going with IKO.
Home Depot At home Installations all come from ABC supply off a national account with certain teed.

We get calls every couple weeks from HD trying to give us pricing on shingles and windows. At one time they were offering a STEAL to anyone that would pre-buy shingles. Pay now take delivery within 120 days but we just simply would never ever do business with them

The gaf timberline packaging at HD is different than the packaging our pro suppliers have.

If they are trying to cater to pros, why not bring in ELK instead??? OC would be a bad move. Why sell what your competitor sells? Thats just bad business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Home Depot At home Installations all come from ABC supply off a national account with certain teed.

We get calls every couple weeks from HD trying to give us pricing on shingles and windows. At one time they were offering a STEAL to anyone that would pre-buy shingles. Pay now take delivery within 120 days but we just simply would never ever do business with them

The gaf timberline packaging at HD is different than the packaging our pro suppliers have.

If they are trying to cater to pros, why not bring in ELK instead??? OC would be a bad move. Why sell what your competitor sells? Thats just bad business.

that is not factual. they use multiple suppliers.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think we hurt the hd manager's feelings.
I was gonna say. Or the poor installed sales manager that has to drive around in that crappy short bed dodge pick up all day with all the dents in it and the broken husky ladder on the roof

Reactions: WarnerConstInc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was gonna say. Or the poor installed sales manager that has to drive around in that crappy short bed dodge pick up all day with all the dents in it and the broken husky ladder on the roof

Thats hilarious! The hd pm in my area is not fond of his truck.

I tell him he should be thrilled, he has the only truck like that in an area with 500k people. Makes him a celebrity of sorts, kinda like the hd nascar driver:w00t:.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Don't have a HD within 50 miles of me so reaqlly couldn't comment as to what that have or don't have, but it is now GAF/ELK. $23 a bundle is a steal. If I was going to need a roof in the next few years I would do it now for that. Paid 32 for rooftop delivery last week

·
Roofer
681 Posts
I didn't hear anything about them, have never shopped there myself.
They are having quite a sale here in my area also tho, the home owner purchased his own materials on the job I'm doing now and got them there because they sold him the Timberline 30's at $69.00 per square and Velux 2' x 6' sky lights at almost $100.00 per unit less than ABC or Banners was offering, plus he got 12 months same as cash, but, the home owner had to wait 10 days to get the shingles and 15 days to get the skylights and one of the skylights came out the box damaged and gotta wait at least 10 more days for the replacement to come.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I didn't hear anything about them, have never shopped there myself.
They are having quite a sale here in my area also tho, the home owner purchased his own materials on the job I'm doing now and got them there because they sold him the Timberline 30's at $69.00 per square and Velux 2' x 6' sky lights at almost $100.00 per unit less than ABC or Banners was offering, plus he got 12 months same as cash, but, the home owner had to wait 10 days to get the shingles and 15 days to get the skylights and one of the skylights came out the box damaged and gotta wait at least 10 more days for the replacement to come.
Around here you would have had the same problem at ABC:laughing:

·
Registered
732 Posts
No sign of getting Rid of GAF around here, the sale I see is $22-23 for 3 tab and $26 and change for Timberlines, not a bad deal. Not sure if HD offers rooftop delivery around here.

I see no difference in the quality or the packaging in Timberlines that were bought from HD vs. Allied Supply. I don't generally do roofs outside of the occasional skylight install, but I recently re-roofed my own house, ran 2 bundles short, so I picked up 2 from HD. No diff from the 14 sq I got from Allied.

To do it agian, I probably would have gone with OC duration or Oakridge as they seem a bit thicker for the same money.

I can't see HD going OC because it doesn't make good business sense. HD and lowes always carry competing brands, for example Pella Vs. Anderson, USP Hardware vs. Simpson, Johns Manville vs. CT, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts