Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I may be forced into running my handyman business fulltime. My day job was working for a Home Improvement center that just decided to call it quits after more than 25 yrs. and 14 stores. They just cannot compete with HD buying power. Speedy Pete probably knows who I am talking about. Luckily I have quite a customer base already but I lose my benefits and steady weekly paycheck. I think I will try and avoid them as much as possible and support the independent guys as hard as it will be. Damn Depot and WalMart! :evil:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Why are you scared to mention their name?

Also, while I understand your issue with losing your job there, you better get used to the scenario of Home Depot and Walmart eliminating a competitor that wasn't able to adjust and change with the economy. That's exactly what you will be facing as a business owner now. You'll be facing competitors in your handyman business who are the Home Depots and Walmarts of the handyman business. Its a fact of business, its been going on since the first fur trapper with a mule crossed paths with a fur trapper with a wagon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I still have to work there until they close my store in order get a severance package which might be a year from now. I'm just venting right now anyway. I have been working there since high school. It is all I know. A few years ago I took out insurance and started building decks and installing doors. I think I will probably go get a degree in HVAC. I still like selling. Grumpy, do you still need people in Chicago?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
HD and Walmart do not force smaller companies out of business. They force them to adapt. Those who can not adapt fail. When a local hardware store goes out of business its no ones fault except the store owner.

Matt

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lower prices at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's and other big box retailers create an effective raise in my income.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
ruskent said:
HD and Walmart do not force smaller companies out of business. They force them to adapt. Those who can not adapt fail. When a local hardware store goes out of business its no ones fault except the store owner.
Woo hoo!!! I agree. I get so tired of the left wingers bashing a companies who have succeeded beyond all others. Sure, we all hate to see Mom & Pop's close, as we also dislike seeing the deimse of the small town "downtown" shopping areas. Because they have failed to keep up with modern retailing methods, they have failed.

GCMan said:
Lower prices at WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's and other big box retailers create an effective raise in my income.
You betcha. It does for all of us.

My only gripe with the big chains is the lack of quality. Quality material and quality clerks seldom exist in these stores.

·
Registered
295 Posts
mdshunk said:
Woo hoo!!! I agree. I get so tired of the left wingers bashing a companies who have succeeded beyond all others. Sure, we all hate to see Mom & Pop's close, as we also dislike seeing the deimse of the small town "downtown" shopping areas. Because they have failed to keep up with modern retailing methods, they have failed.
I'm curious, a huge co. like HD comes into the neighborhood and sells a product for $1.99 because they literally buy them by the train load, and mom and pop can't purchase the item for that....Where did they fail??

Mom and pop have one location and have served a community for years and maybe only move xx amount of product. How are they to compete? Again, this is curiousity not bitterness or personal.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
plumguy said:
I'm curious, a huge co. like HD comes into the neighborhood and sells a product for $1.99 because they literally buy them by the train load, and mom and pop can't purchase the item for that....Where did they fail??

Mom and pop have one location and have served a community for years and maybe only move xx amount of product. How are they to compete? Again, this is curiousity not bitterness or personal.
Plumguy, they have to complete on service. Just like I do. I could install a vanity for $1.99 but I won't. As long as there are customers who percieve value in service I can serve them, as soon as there are no customers left who do, its time to get into a new business, just like all the stage coach manufactureres had to do.

Unfortunately if you are in a business selling commodities service becomes less and less of a selling point. Thats what has happened to a lot of these mom and pops.

Times are a changing - and they always will.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
plumguy said:

You forgot to mention a trainload of 'seconds', at that.

I swear their return policy is only so good because your only returning 'previously-returned' items!! ;)

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
...and before someone brings up the fact that employees of the big stores are poorly paid...

While this is certainly true for the most part, look around the next time you're in one of these stores. You won't find any of the associates wearing a ball and chain. They are all free to run out in front of a bus, go on welfare, invent somthing, get a different job, read a book, hop a cross-country Greyhound, or whatever pleases them. There's no one making them work there. They may perceive totally fake, artificial pressures that they believe gives them no option. This is flatly not true.

The same is true for the customer's who shop there. You may buy your groceries at the Super Wal Mart or at the local farmer's market. You may buy your building materials at the Home Depot or you may buy them at your local trade supply house. While I support these big box stores' right to operate as a business, I choose not to shop there. Not for political reasons, but more for the service I get at the local supply house. I know I pay a premium sometimes, but I perceive value in that premium that I pay on each item in terms of stock availability and service from the staff. When and if this begins to wane, then I may shop for my material at Lowe's or Home Depot. Don't see that happening yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
ruskent said:

Matt
I disagree. With the amount of product HD and Lowes can buy, they are able to SELL products for the same price mom and pop can BUY them for. How is that their fault?

I work for a large retail paintball company and its kind of the same way with the internet. Those companies are selling product at what we get it for. The only way for us to compete with them is to offer better warranties and such, which hurts our pockets as well.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
PPro- Yea so that means the mom and pops stores have to change there business plan to compete with the big box stores lower prices. The might have to offer better service, have a better selection of odds and ends, or just sell something that the big box stores don't.

Matt

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I could not agree with Ruskent more.
You either adapt or go home.
It really is that simple.

its been going on since the first fur trapper with a mule crossed paths with a fur trapper with a wagon.
Awesome quote....I love it!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
ruskent said:
PPro- Yea so that means the mom and pops stores have to change there business plan to compete with the big box stores lower prices. The might have to offer better service, have a better selection of odds and ends, or just sell something that the big box stores don't.

Matt

I agree too. There is numerous times I have went to the boxes only to be told we don't carry that because it doesn't sell as fast.
I usually cuss them all the way out the store limiting profanity but making my piont clear for all to hear.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Well I DO NOT agree, at all!

You all try and makeit so simple. Why does everything have to be so black and white? It is no way as simple as "adapt or go home". This is rubbish.

Huges stores buy HUGE quantities, and NOT the exact same material as other stores. They force manufacturers to sell to them at lower prices. This is not a mom & pop store's fault.

And c'mon Marc, people work there because they have no other choice. We've basically ended manufacturing in this country and have gone to a service based economy. When these jobs go away, and smaller stores are gone, and the mall is not hiring, where is someone with little to no education and no trade skills going to work? If the mega store has taken over a town and someone has PRIDE in their hometown and doesn't want to leave, where do the work???

Sorry guys, HD, Lowes and ESPECIALLY walmart are KILLING this country!!!

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
It's funny how nobody mentions costco but since they have the unions blessing's I guess they are the good guys :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't forget. Sam Walton was the "Pop" and a little store in Bentenville, Arkansas a few years back. God Bless the Entrepreneur!

I love the big box stores, but I don't buy everything there. In fact, some of my biggest purchases come from the local lumber yard (Mom, Pop & Son) who still know what service is all about. I don't have to stand in an aisle searching through mounds of lumber for a straight stick. Service is worth a premium, and I pay about 10-15% more for it, but I make it up on the job site with quality material.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Tom R said:
You forgot to mention a trainload of 'seconds', at that.

I swear their return policy is only so good because your only returning 'previously-returned' items!! ;)
HERE HERE! Thats actually happerned to me with a DeWalt palm sander... first and last power tool I bought from HD.

I'm with speedy pete and PWG...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts