Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has used the free Home Depot estimator. If so, what comments? thank you, Mike

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has used the free Home Depot estimator. If so, what comments? thank you, Mike
I don't see how they could have an estimator when they don't sell lumber in 14 foot lengths or over 16 foot. The price of trim there is 3x a lumberyard. I have not seen this estimator but I wouldn't have my estimating locked in with this company in any way.

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
Shellbuilder said:
I don't see how they could have an estimator when they don't sell lumber in 14 foot lengths or over 16 foot. The price of trim there is 3x a lumberyard. I have not seen this estimator but I wouldn't have my estimating locked in with this company in any way.
My HD sells 20' 2x's. It's the 2nd largest HD in America. It says Home Depot SuperStore on the front. They're constantly shutting it down to film commercials there.

http://ext.homedepot.com/community/blog/anaheim-hills-home-depot-becomes-a-home-depot-super-store/

·
Registered
333 Posts
Exactly what does it help estimate? HD's own products at HD's pricing? if that's the case you're a captured audience, or does it provide best pricing from local suppliers?

I've used specbid and have gotten real time numbers from local suppliers on the same items for my estimates and I specify exactly what I want the way I want it. Definitely has given me an edge by not only saving money but lots of time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
Shellbuilder said:
I have 4 HD to choose from, none of them sell longer than 16 foot, One in 10 employees in the isles is barely competent. Cashiers always seem ok.
Oh I'm not talking them up, I'm just stating there are exceptions. I still buy all my materials from my local yard, They give me better prices and awesome customer service.

You don't know how many times I overhear an HD employee giving someone misinformation and sometimes dangerous.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm a little curious too, I get the emails yet they remain in the trash.

So as much as I enjoy friendly competition I am not about to upload customer information- contact or job specific material take offs for them to somehow, someway use to gain a backhanded customer.

But hey, that's just my thinking.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I buy my garage door gaskets and trex hidden fasteners at hd shhhhhhhh

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
I'll bet everybody on this forum buys chit from HD, if they say they don't I call BS. Especially when time is important and they're a block away.

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
Shellbuilder said:
The only good thing about HD compared to lumberyards is once in a while a hot looking MILF is wondering around the paint area. Never see that in the lumberyard.
I've always noticed that.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Shellbuilder said:
What I find odd is the young guys don't even look. Whats that all about, Are they desensitized?
Maybe your judgement has started to fail with age! Haha jk

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Home Depot is better than most lumber yards

I don't like the thought of buying everything from Home Depot just because they are so powerful.

As far as buying lumber in large quantities I have mixed emotions. I don't like Home Depot because they are so powerful and and they can manipulate the markets. I hate buying lumber from lumber yards because they manipulate the price on a daily basis and their prices are higher than Home Depot. I don't like the way lumber yard workers are so lazy and the way you have to stand in line to order your lumber and then take the slip and wait for someone to fill your order. I find the lumber at the lumber yards is much more crooked, always soaking wet and it shrinks, and it is always moldy.

I find that Home Depot always has dryer lumber and it is not crooked.

HOME DEPOT SECRETS A CASHIER TOLD ME LAST WEEK

If you present the cashier at Home Depot proof that you are a veteran you get 10% off on every purchase. Is you shop at a Home Depot with a Contractor Pro checkout you get 5% or 10% off (I can't remember).

If you tell the cashier something about Lowes (I can't remember what she said), but you will get 5% off your purchase. She showed me an ID that Home Depot gives you and I can't remember if it was about Lowes or being a veteran.

·
GC/carpenter
43,893 Posts
pcplumber said:
I don't like the thought of buying everything from Home Depot just because they are so powerful. As far as buying lumber in large quantities I have mixed emotions. I don't like Home Depot because they are so powerful and and they can manipulate the markets. I hate buying lumber from lumber yards because they manipulate the price on a daily basis and their prices are higher than Home Depot. I don't like the way lumber yard workers are so lazy and the way you have to stand in line to order your lumber and then take the slip and wait for someone to fill your order. I find the lumber at the lumber yards is much more crooked, always soaking wet and it shrinks, and it is always moldy. I find that Home Depot always has dryer lumber and it is not crooked. HOME DEPOT SECRETS A CASHIER TOLD ME LAST WEEK If you present the cashier at Home Depot proof that you are a veteran you get 10% off on every purchase. Is you shop at a Home Depot with a Contractor Pro checkout you get 5% or 10% off (I can't remember). If you tell the cashier something about Lowes (I can't remember what she said), but you will get 5% off your purchase. She showed me an ID that Home Depot gives you and I can't remember if it was about Lowes or being a veteran.
My lumberyard pays the yard helpers extra for each ticket they sign. So the more people they help the more they make. The tickets are paid by line items. So if it's a large order they make even more.

Also all lumber is supposed to be tested and only has a certain maximum percentage of moisture in them, depending what it is for. I think regular 2x s4s #2 grade framing lumber has a maximum of 19% moisture content, rather it's from HD or the lumberyard. 19% maximum is code in California, for framing.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts