As someone who moved into the builder arena with very little experience on the construction side prior let me tell you what I would have done different.
1. I would have worked in the business alot longer
2. I would have worked several more different jobs in order to broaden my understanding of how a house goes up.
3. I would have went back to school and taken classes on construction just to have some more knowledge.
4. I would have worked even more construction jobs.
5. I would havethought real hard about ever getting into building homes.
Granted I am doing ok. But I have made alot of mistakes that could have been avoided by simply spending more time in the trade. Even now I hire people who dont mind me being out there working with them as the more I know the easier it gets. It also helps that I have several good friends who were not afraid to answer my many questions but be forewarned that some of your friends may know even less than you do
Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum
A forum community dedicated to professional construction and remodeling contractors. Come join the discussion about the industry, trades, safety, projects, finishing, tools, machinery, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!