Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got out of high school, I've dreamed of building homes for a living. My question is, how difficult is it to get involved? my main problem is i don't have much experience in the industry.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
More power to you buddy, but just remember one thing, advice my father told me just before my first wedding, RUN......RUN FAST....RUN HARD.......DON'T LOOK BACK.

I should have been listening.

Bob

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
They eat you alive kid. Take bobs advice. Or go work in the industry for awhile.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
JustaFramer said:
go work in the industry for awhile.
Sage advice. You don't have to reinvent the wheel - just learn how the good ones are made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As someone who moved into the builder arena with very little experience on the construction side prior let me tell you what I would have done different.
1. I would have worked in the business alot longer
2. I would have worked several more different jobs in order to broaden my understanding of how a house goes up.
3. I would have went back to school and taken classes on construction just to have some more knowledge.
4. I would have worked even more construction jobs.
5. I would havethought real hard about ever getting into building homes.

Granted I am doing ok. But I have made alot of mistakes that could have been avoided by simply spending more time in the trade. Even now I hire people who dont mind me being out there working with them as the more I know the easier it gets. It also helps that I have several good friends who were not afraid to answer my many questions but be forewarned that some of your friends may know even less than you do :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts