Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if anyone knows the exact details as to how to become a certfied home builder. Like what licenses should I get, any courses to take if any, how much experience needed, etc
any websites besides the local home builder associations.

thankss

·
Registered
199 Posts
Varies by state. Some states don't even have lic., or even registration. some like California requires five (5) years expierence, 8 hour test and a minimum bond. Oregon merely requires one to take a homestudy or a couple of days course, pay fees, show proof of bond and liability insurance.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Call your building dept and ask them what paperwork you need to get a permit, then follow the chain.

For example they may say "You need a state license and a surety bond." Well follow the chain, call the state licensing department and your insurance agent for the bond.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i found the information online but I have a general question for whoever works here in VA or with a similar rule. It says here that the person that the firm chooses to take the exam has to have 5 years experience in the field. Well I only have 2 years experience building homes, but I have 10 years in painting and drywall, would that matter, I mean do they actually want proof that I have been on building homes for 5 years or is that just a recommendation.
I work for other contractors, so I dont actually pay all the money for building these homes.
or do you think I should look for someone that has 5 years building homes, it gets kinda hard to find because most of them are already superintendents at various construction projects and there is no way I can offer them the same kinda pay.

oh btw in case anyone is interested, I am good at what I do, so I don't think i need 5 years in experience to be asb le to build, in any case the subcontractors are the ones that do all the work not me, I am just trying to supervise it while owning the company so I can make some money.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
NSolano, ego is not a question with you, experiance is. Gain some more. Don't add to the blackeye that most of us live with.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Call your building dept and ask them what paperwork you need to get a permit, then follow the chain.

For example they may say "You need a state license and a surety bond." Well follow the chain, call the state licensing department and your insurance agent for the bond.
Great advice. However, you may not want to go to your regular insurance agent, as they usually broker the business to a bond only agency. You are better off doing a google search to find a bond only agency so you can cuyt out the middle man! Be sure to ask if they issue the bond out of their office or not, as that is an easy way to find out if you are getting it direct!

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I would offer that you really should get a few years more experience under your belt...might be a good idea while the mortgage market levels out anyway. Nothing personal, but I would not hire anyone to build a home that has only 2 years experience and calls themselves a GC. There is a world of difference between a "builder" and a GC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts