Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to run this by the flat roofers out there and see what kind of help on opinions I could get as to the best bang for this guys buck. It's (two) ballasted EPDM roofs. The first layer has pea gravel and the second (the one on top) has two inch clean river rock. The owner told me that he's leaning toward the monolithic conklin roofing system, I just kept my mouth shut till I got up on the roof and looked at it. It's 600 squares big (150x400)and has a crap load of penetrations 35 small, 20 medium, 6 large and one firewall about 120 feet from one end, the coping edge is all messed up from expansion and contraction because it wasn't screwed down hardly at all. The coping edge sticks up so high on the back of the roof the water has no choice but to puddle up before it ever hits the gutters (which has caused rot). I know what he needs to do which is rip both layers off replace the bad, new roof (opinions wanted) and new coping edge. Since he told me he is leaning toward the conklin I know he isn't wanting to spend that much money on it. I'm sure I forgot to explain something but just ask I'll tell you. Anything helps, I would really appreciate it guys. Oh and he wants the job bonded for the next 20 years..... it's not letting me attach the video I took

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It's not two ballast roofs, at least I don't think, most pea sized gravel is used for BUR roofs. Then ballast roofs came around and they flop various styles and sizes of insulation down threw a EPDM down and spread rock. The drip edge is messed up most likely because the EPDM is contracting and pulling the nailers up.

I'm assuming that coklin system is a spray foam. While it can be done, it's a bad bad bad idea. There is no direct attachment point if they leave the rock on. everything will be that much more expensive. Now you also have a weight issue, the original structure most likely wasn't built to with stand both a BUR roof and a ballast roof. Two very heavy roof systems. Now add another, even though it's fairly light it still weighs something. Add some snow, ect and boom. I don't know what codes are there, but anything over two roofs here is a tear off. All the way down.

They may offer a 20 year warranty, but the coating will need to be repaired every 5-10 years, plus they SPF roofs are known to hold water when they go unmaintained.

You already know what the solution to the problem is. Tear it off, fix the structure and put on a good roof system, single or double layer of ISO and a EPDM and he will be much happier.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That pretty much sums it up. Aside from RUN dont walk away from this guy after you explain that to him and he still insists on a coating or layover. Is the building leaking? Water between the layers? Cant coat it, cant cover it. Dont forget to add the weight of the water to that roof as well. Just a gallon weighs 8 lbs, that adds up quick.

Heres a few pics from a few jobs I did where the owner wanted me to do a coating. Ordered a thermal scan on one, It only showed wet around the perimeter, but check out how wet the insulation was when we tore it off.

The pic of the hole is a core sample i took of another building. There was 6 inches of built up roofing on this roof, 4 systems, this pic was just cored into the first system. We had no idea there was 3 more layers under there at that point. I also added some pics of how deteriorated the decking was. It was an asswhip. Dont try to save him any money. Youll screw yourself. Im sure you want the job.. I did too. I regret it now. Hell I regretted it then too.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow on the pics..... yeah I guess the right thing to do is just explain to him how bad he'd be messing up by going with the spray on, and hope he makes the right decision.
Thanks for the input guys you just gave me the confidence i needed to go down the road i needed to.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Maybe you should agree with him, add a new roof on top of the bad in order to seal the moisture in, insuring that in the near future the entire roof, including structure will need to be replaced. Tell him don't even worry about a warranty, the underlying roof won't last long enough for the top one to use up much warranty time at all.

Reactions: Paradigmzz

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Also I have to say that few of penetrations on that size of a roof is a cake walk compared half to the chit we run in to.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A coating for the actual roof system.... Junk
SPF.... Junk

HYPALON?!?!?! Nope, that didn't work out in the 80's

Flexion? Hmm fancy name.

Thanks but we will stick to roofing systems that actually hold up and stand the test of time.

Thanks for spaming your links though. Conklin does make some good hand lotion though. I think we still have a bottle of it around here. Use to use the coating for metal roofs, that changed....

·
Commercial Roofer
26 Posts
A coating for the actual roof system.... Junk
SPF.... Junk

HYPALON?!?!?! Nope, that didn't work out in the 80's

Flexion? Hmm fancy name.

Thanks but we will stick to roofing systems that actually hold up and stand the test of time.

Thanks for spaming your links though. Conklin does make some good hand lotion though. I think we still have a bottle of it around here. Use to use the coating for metal roofs, that changed....
Thanks for your input 1985gt. You are very opinionated lol. I hope you have great and successful year :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks for your input 1985gt. You are very opinionated lol. I hope you have great and successful year :)

I am. Hypalon left a very bad taste is a lot of peoples mouths.

As far as Flexion. I've never seen it used but I conklin doesn't have a huge market share around here. It could be the best product in the world, but as I'm sure you are aware low slope roofers have seen all kinds of latest and greatest things. A lot of them didn't work out well.

Now coatings are fine, but when they are promoted as the cure all I disagree with it. I'm just not a believe or coatings on areas that have standing water.

Now I have such a distaste for SPF roofs I won't go in to it to much. Again it was a cure all, a cheap cure all. That was the selling point right? No tear off better insulation. All the people who put one on are regretting it now. Costs go sky high when your tear it and another roof (or 3 off).

Mostly though my response was mostly in part as a post such as yours generally is just someone spamming their links.

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope you have a profitable year as well.

·
YUUUUP!
1,054 Posts
started seeing ads on craigslist in my area looking for roofers willing to install conklin. sure many of the hack companies jumped on it fast thinking they might make a quick buck.

·
Commercial Roofer
26 Posts
started seeing ads on craigslist in my area looking for roofers willing to install conklin. sure many of the hack companies jumped on it fast thinking they might make a quick buck.
I've seen all types of roofs and I've noticed that Conklin is not exempt from hacks. it doesn't seem to matter whose brand you install you will see a bad egg eventually. I speak from experience. I helped a Contractor get started that jacked his first few jobs so bad I had his certification revoked.
Conklin has majorly changed the certification process for the Master Contractor status I'm sure it was to weed out the fly by nighters

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
1985, do you guys have a product called no slope where you are? Its a coating designed to handle ponding water.
Haven't seen it. I've heard of different coatings that are able to with stand ponding water. I've never personally seen one in use. I'm always leery about coatings. I've seen some pretty bad ones, but you don't know after 5 years or so if it's a coating problem or a prep (most likely) problem. Also to be fair, we only coat metal roofs with "cool" coatings, a lot of the time the low slope single plys we see are far beyond coating stage. Asphalt roofs get Aluminum coating.

I agree, every manufacture has their hacks. The problem being a lot just willy nilly sign you up, as long as you pass the credit check. We had to redo a brand new roof for someone using a EPDM manufacture we don't use very often, the roof was being done at an apartment complex that we have done like 5 of the reroofs at. All currently ballast. Any way this "roofer" was installing this roof and this was the "test" The inspector didn't even get off the ladder. I wish I had the pictures but the boss has them on his computer. Anyway the cut out for the drain was a circle around the drain bowl, the seams had fish mouths the size of baseball, left that way, not fixed at all. Just another case of someone who knew someone who manages the apartments. We were called in to replace that roof, and then we did the next one also.

Now if we could get the manufacture reps to stop letting every tom dick and billybob wanna be roofer signed up it would help our industry a lot. Generally these people have no idea how to bid a job. That or they are all illegal. :laughing:

I actually saw a pickup and trailer with coklin roofing on it. They must be trying to get a better bite in this area also. I know the coating is good, but frankly over SPF I don't think much will hold up. Again great for metal roof restoration.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've got pretty good stuff to say about no slope. I find the problem with coatings is they aren't used properly. A coating should prolong the life of your already decent roof. Applied at 5 or 10 years and it might do the trick. But no one wants to apply it til they can see daylight thru the damn thing... nothing will bring a roof back from the dead, and that's usually when people want to use them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I've got pretty good stuff to say about no slope. I find the problem with coatings is they aren't used properly. A coating should prolong the life of your already decent roof. Applied at 5 or 10 years and it might do the trick. But no one wants to apply it til they can see daylight thru the damn thing... nothing will bring a roof back from the dead, and that's usually when people want to use them.
100% agree with this statement. I don't have a problem with coatings. I have a problem with cure alls in a bucket. :whistling

1 - 20 of 24 Posts