Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wall Material property Door Wood Door handle

This is when you call me. This frame was damaged by a crook.

Wall Column Carving Wood Art

I cut out the damaged section.

Room Architecture Door

And here it is when I am finished.

I have been doing this kind of work for years and have fixed many of these types of frame damage.

Does anyone else do this kind of repair?

JD

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yeah... Terrific job.... invisable to the picture.... is it as srtrong as before... stronger.... or more cosmetic.

Can ya tell us the procedure....TIA

Peter

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good job man!

We install a lot of doors and occasionally might do a repair, have never had to do that though. I'll remember that, thanks for the post. We mainly do new construction.

Did you weld that in? And a little bondo?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I have tried every possible fix for stuff like this over the years and this is my preferred method. Of course each fix is a little bit different.

First I identify how much is damaged. Most of the time it is bent more than you think at first.

Next I mark it out and cut it with a die grinder and a cut off disc.

Next is trim the new piece to fit. You may need to cut in a strike or hinge in the new piece. Do that first. (I get scrap hollow metal from a local supplier)

Next I tack it in. Check alignment, and weld it being careful not to heat it up too much and warp it.

Then grind and bondo.

Note. It is not legal to do this on a fire rated frame as field repair is not covered under UL

REW.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Killer work, the only difference is I would cut the replacement piece, use it as a template then cut the frame to fit the replacement...less filing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts