Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do your companies handle the holidays?
What days do you have/give off and is there pay for those days?

Ho, Ho, Ho

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I have christmas off, and the day before and after.
we close early and open late new years time, but the 1st is totally off.
I got an extra hundred bucks for holiday, but I have only been here a year.
I am close to earning a thousand based on my sales, so that should make up for it. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Mine's a 24/7 business ... my family and I work Christmas and New Years so the employees can be home with family ... with pay. The Winter Holiday bonus is given out at my company dinner, always held on the first Friday in December. Employees with less than 6 months service get a $250 bonus. Those with over 6 months service, but with less than 1 year get 1 weeks pay bonus. 2 weeks pay is the bonus for employees with over 1 year but less than 3 years of service, and 3 weeks pay is bonus for employees working for me over 3 years. I have a bookeeper, counterman, and a driver with me for over 10 years so they get more. I rent and cater the local volunteer firehouse on Christmas Eve day for my customers. It's an all day eatfest thing and I pass out goodwill gifts such as MagLites, sweatshirts, hats and etc with the company logo. Fun time.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
It's a sad world we live in when people expect to be paid for time they don't work. I get paid on commission. I get no paid anything, holidays, vacations. I am satsified with that. This is how it should be. <b>Paid per performance.</b>

In the past I could be found working on every holiday, but in the last year since my girl friend decided to monopolize all my time, I have taken most of the holidays off.

N

·
0 Posts
I'll go to my grave believing employees ... especially my employees ... deserve and earn their paid holidays, vacations, sick days, new baby - sick family leave, and health - retirement benefits. A business is only as good as the people who work it and help build it ... one hand washes the other. Actually, one of the best times I have at my job is looking at photos from their vacations, pictures of their new babies, and so on.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Why does anyone deserve paid holidays or paid lunches or paid breaks? Sure it's very nice of you to do that, but they don't deserve it. Nobody deseves it. If I thought they should make more money when I'd pay them per hour. I am a total <b>disbeliever</b> in those kinds of perks. Now if someone were to offer it to me I would accept but I will go to my grave believing you should only be paid for performance, and be liable for mistakes.

If you work 40 mins doing something and do it all wrong, why should I pay you those 40 mins? If you produce better than the person next to you but make the same per hour that's not fair.

It's nice that you take care of your employees, and that's the best way to find and keep quality employees but payment for anything above and beyond their work is not a deserved payment it is a perk and/or bonus.

When people ask me how much money I make, the answer is usually "As much or as little as I want." If I have some upcoming expenses or get slammed with a high utility bill I just close a few extra sales, charge a few extra bucks. Since I am paid on performance, based on profit, it is always in my best interest to make sure the job runs smoothly from start to finish. Why does my assistant not work his ass off like I do? Because he gets paid the same either way.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Grumpy:

You must like us commission salespeople then huh?
I only get paid depending on how good a salesman I am. If I suck, I get nothin, If I do good, I get lots.
But I still get vacation pay every check, so I can have fun with my family and come back to work with a great attitude.
As far as holiday pay, I get nothing cause I do not work, but I do believe everyone deserves it. The owners deserve to have happy employees, and the employees deserve to have some quality time with whoever. If they do not work hard, they will be fired, thats the motivation.
I know other countries do not have all these holiday's like we do, and I can partly agree with Grump, but something inside me says, pay em if you can afford it. You won't be sorry you did.

N

·
0 Posts
One of the real joys in my business ... one of the views from my side of the sales counter ... is seeing an employee help a customer - usually a contractor (about 80% of our business) - with a fastener problem.

I can't help but remember back to when the employee was new, and wouldn't know a 1/4-20, KEPs, or wedge anchor if it hit him on the head; but now I see how he adeptly handles all the customers' needs - knowing all the various threads and grade markings by sight, all the styles and sizes, all the applications, and being able to translate all the terms and slang names for those do-hickeys while giving the customer the best bang for his buck.

It's a real joy to see the face of a satisfied customer, and to know we helped make his job better, maybe a little easier, and hopefully more profitable.

An owner is the foundation his business; he has to be strong, set rules, establish goals, and stay on solid ground, BUT it's his employees that actually do the rest, building and making it better .... how can that go unrewarded?

I've had my money probelms over the years, but paid holidays, vacation and sick pay, family leave and etc were not significant factors.

I'm just treating people the way I would want to be treated.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Flor I am a commissioned sales man. If things are slow I dont sit around the office. I make calls and search the net for open jobs that need bidding. That's my job and if I don't do it I don't get paid. My vacation pay is: "Oh I think I want to take a vacation, I better sell an extra job this week so I can afford it."

I still disagree and say people don't deserve money for their time OFF. It's a nice PERK but that's all it is, a privilage, not a birth right. The reward is the pay wage which is the employees right. I think it breeds laziness.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a balance between the two in my opinion.

I agree that the best way to pay employees is by performance. Thats why I like Piecework so much. But how you pay your employees totally depends on what business you in.

I also believe in paying employees for holidays as well as bonuses if the company is doing well. If you don't treat your employees right how can you expect to keep them?
I believe in bonuses if the company did well that year because I believe those employees contributed to that.
Also, I bid on jobs with vacation time and holidays included into the price of the estimate.

This is an interesting subject to me.
Bottom line, if you reward your employees too much they have no reason to work hard... if you never reward them they get fed up and leave.
Pay for performance Plus vacation/holidays/bonuses for me. But if someone doesn't preform then they are fired.

N

·
0 Posts
Perks (short for perquisite) to me is an employee borrowing a company truck to move, using the copy machine, or making a personal phone call; all things well earned. The mood and tempo of all businesses start at the top, with the owner ... everything reflects on the owner ... his name is his reputation. If laziness(!) is somehow a problem it's a direct reflection on the owner. Treating customers and or employees in a manner other than how one wants himself treated is a recipe for sure failure.

I may be wrong, but about 25 years ago, after a long career as a NYC Union Ironworker I started a one man business from the trunk of my car and now employee over 3 dozen bustbutt full time workers who bring in eight figure annual sales. Their couple thousand dollars in holiday pay is - in all reality - peanuts compared to my gas and electric energy costs, fleet expenses, and etc. I care about my employees ... everything I have, everything my families have, everything I can do for the community is entirely due to them.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Well I guess we will agree to disagree. I think paying employees for holidays and similiar perks in the end breeds laziness. That's how I look at it. It's a great thing! I wouldn't refuse it if offered. I never ONCE asked in an interview, when looking for a job, how log do I have to work until I get a free vacation?

No my question always was "What do you expect of me and what's fair compensation for your expectations?" Since I started working commission I will NEVER go back. I find myself doing things, going that extra TEN miles, that I know I wouldn't do if I was paid salary or hourly.

Hey from a sales manager perespective(I'm no sales manager), a free vacation can be a great motivation tool. "Top sales producer wins a free vacation for himself and a friend to vegas!" I guarantee towards the end of the year the top producers are ALL going to kick it into high gear for that vacation, and thus you boost your sales dramatically.

See I am not against bonuses and perks, you just have to know how to use them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts