Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using a grinder and a roto zip to round out the wholes. If they need to be smaller I use Lenox hole saws.

I would like to get some that go on a grinder/polisher like the Alpha. Are they worth the money, how much faster, what brand would you get, how long they last??

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
country_huck said:
I have been using a grinder and a roto zip to round out the wholes. If they need to be smaller I use Lenox hole saws.

I would like to get some that go on a grinder/polisher like the Alpha. Are they worth the money, how much faster, what brand would you get, how long they last??
I got a sigma catalog with my snapper and they had some very cool hole saws. No prices though. And very hard to read since it was in 4 different languages.

I do am looking for a good set of hole saws. I seen a guy use a piece of plywood with the hole cut in it and set it a pan of water to drill. Seemed like it took forever to drill.

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had tocut 4 2" wholes in some porcelain tile for some led shower lighting, it took forever, the time potentially saved with some of these core type bits would easily justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
In my opinion the best hole saws for porcliean that i have ever used were Rodia they use a slow speed, smooth, thin wall sintered diamond that cuts very cleanly and lasts forever.

In 2006 I installed backsplashes in 55 high end condos, the back splashes were 18 x 18 and we had to drill the outlets because they were so brittle. We bought one of these systems from Dal tile (it was the cordless drill model, and the Drill SUCKED SO BAD) but bought 2 2" hole saws and only used 1 but drilled at least 700 holes with it. Is is worth the $600? Yes if you have 1000+2" holes to drill on a job. No fi you just want to drill an occasional hole.

I have not bought the Rodia FB750W to replace the cordless unit when it went to the crapper.

I have a Flex LW1503 wet polisher and speed control. I use this to polish bullnose, drill holes, wet grind stone. and i think this tool has its place in an advanced tile setters tool kit. It will do what you ask. Make good choices as to what core bit you buy, you do not want one made to wet drill concrete.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

Any old diamond core saw will be better than a grinder and roto zip. I have no idea what brand my diamond hole saws are - if I need a new size I buy it from one of the local tile dealers. I don't think I've ever worn out a diamond core bit on tile or countertops. Don't count on the pilot drills that come with cheap core saws being any use - you can spend 20 minutes boring the pilot hole and then the core takes about 30 seconds to take the full radius. Either take the pilot out and use a plywood template to manage the position, or use a good small bit to pre-drill the pilot hole.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Any old diamond core saw will be better than a grinder and roto zip. I have no idea what brand my diamond hole saws are - if I need a new size I buy it from one of the local tile dealers. I don't think I've ever worn out a diamond core bit on tile or countertops. Don't count on the pilot drills that come with cheap core saws being any use - you can spend 20 minutes boring the pilot hole and then the core takes about 30 seconds to take the full radius. Either take the pilot out and use a plywood template to manage the position, or use a good small bit to pre-drill the pilot hole.
I don't even know what brand of core saws I use.....they aren't cheap, but worth every penny.

The plywood template works great. This might sound crazy but I find clients are really impressed with a perfect hole around a stub out.....

Put one on your to buy list!!!

·
pro
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
schaefercs said:
My diamond core bits are made by alpha, bought at best tile. They can probably be found cheaper online, just make sure it has the 5/8-11 thread to fit your grinder.
I looked at there bits, they hold up well?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
When using a core bit on a grinder, since there's normally just an on/off, is it common for it to bind and whip your wrist? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just haven't used any hole saws or cores on my grinders.

·
Registered
593 Posts
dielectricunion said:
When using a core bit on a grinder, since there's normally just an on/off, is it common for it to bind and whip your wrist? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just haven't used any hole saws or cores on my grinders.
Never had that problem. I just let the bit do the work. I suppose if you push hard enough and twist, maybe it could happen. But I would have to think the tile would break before too much damage could occur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts