Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

HOers Keys?

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Tech Dawg 
#1 ·
I manage our small projects, service, maintenance etc.. in a gated vacation community. I have anywhere from 15-30 keys signed out to me at any given time.

Generally, I'm the only person doing maintenance so I carry the keys with me. Occasionally I have a helper, subs, PM, designer and others that need access at any given time. Keys come up missing from time to time with no explanation.

I had a key come up missing last week, it's frustration as hell! Of course no one knows anything! Does anyone have a good procedure other than a hiding spot, giving out copies (no one wants the responsibility), or personally unlocking and locking every time someone needs access?

What is your key policy/procedure?

#5 ·
I'm vigilant with the keys that I carry, and I respect the responsibility! I wouldn't leave keys at all unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm learning a valuable lesson so I would really like to know how to handle this and stay efficient.

#3 ·
Sorry for the generic title mods.... FYI be careful what you say just in case the WWW is watching. Please move this thread if deemed necessary, or I will re-post as a different topic.....

#11 ·
I'm not arguing with you Tin!

We have a key file drawer. Every client has an assigned envelope. I pull an envelope, take a key, initial, date, and place in the "out" box. Then I have a page in my log that lists the date, address and key I'm carrying. The problem lies where it become inefficient for every sub to go through that process every day.

I think you're right though as far as being absolutely certain.

Reactions: Tinstaafl
#8 ·
To get your keys back, call all of the guys together, explain your dilemma, and then tell them that there will not be anymore work for anyone until the keys come back. Just have them dropped in your mailbox, no questions asked, and the work will resume.

But being that keys are coming up missing and everyone is standing there whistling, the only fair thing to do is let everyone go.

#12 ·
Thanks cole! That's probably the best solution. The realtors use them for showing houses. I'll mention that tomorrow! We would need a dozen probably but that would solve the problem.

#10 ·
Here's some interesting information... I've had two keys come up missing since September. The first key was taken from a condo by a woman "X" who owned a unit. I talked with "X" on several occasions and she was incapable of returning the key. The second missing key was at a condo next door to the hotel "X" owns and runs.

I had my helper go to the hotel to inquire. X would not talk to him and her assistant told him "sorry, we can't help you".... I think that speaks for itself. Perhaps I should have done the dirty work.... I was pissed at the time and certain she was responsible so I thought it better for someone else to politely ask.

#14 ·
WNYcarpenter said:
Thanks cole! That's probably the best solution. The realtors use them for showing houses. I'll mention that tomorrow! We would need a dozen probably but that would solve the problem.
That's why I mentioned an electronic lock box system. That's the way realtors do it now. My dad is an agent and all the realtors have their own code #. When someone enters, it gets electronically filed so he knows exactly who entered and what time...
A standard lock box is ok, but on your level everyone knows one combination. Trust me, the tone will change quickly if you pass out individual codes for each worker (last one in takes the blame on any problem and its documented)

#15 ·
I would recommend making a copy anytime you receive a key from a customer (let them know and give them the copy at the end).

There are systems you can use...

http://www.keytracker.com/

But a thought I had considering how many keys you have and to keep it low-cost and simple... colored carabiner's for each of the tech's they keep on their key ring.

When you hand out a key on a generic (silver) carabiner to attach to their keychain with a simple click, they give you their colored carabiner in return which you attach to eye hook/number assigned to the client. Each color is assigned to the tech. They can only check out a key by giving you their colored caribiner.

No colored carabiner, no key... takes care of the accountability issue and you have a back up key in case someone still screws up... You can also see at a glance who has the key, and since they attach it to their own key chain with a click, they are unlikely to lose it as they will not be able to drive home, right?

Low-cost, simple... Just a thought... or use a system... there's plenty of them out there...

Best of luck... 8^)

#16 ·
From my experience "Gated vacation community" generally translates to MONEY...only reason you are there is due to your reputation...

Reputations are difficult to earn, especially with money people...

Last thing you want to do is explain to some CEO/etc why you have to change all the keys on his place...

Do what ever it takes to protect yourself...sign them out PERSONALLY or go unlock & lock the daing door yourself....:thumbsup:l

#18 ·
I'm the only the employee in my company. I have a hidden place in the office for all my keys. However, each key is labeled with a code that only I know how to decipher. That way if the office or my van were ever to get broken into, no one could just take the keys and go on a spree.

How does everyone else label their keys?

#21 ·
I have only first name with last initial on my keys. The chances of losing a key for me is pretty slim.

And I normally have more than one key for each residence I take care of.

I was out of control with the amount of keys I've had. You have to label every one or it gets crazy.

Actually I need to go through all my keys now, it's getting crazy. :laughing:

Security/garage door codes are a little trickier.

#20 ·
we were doing job at uni,

HVAC contractor lost masterkey that we signed out.

cost to change 1200 cylinders over 30k, we had 11/2 days to find key or change locks

turns out key was not lost just forget to hand back in on friday afternoon and it was to far to drive back after getting home.

key turned up about midday monday in the grass.

#22 ·
Griz: You are spot on! The last thing we need is for our clients to question our responsibility especially when
they trust us/me with their vacation homes! I'm pretty much the only employee who has access to all of our clients' homes without question.

I've discussed this with my PM (who has to tuck his tail and inform the HOers in these cases). He's afraid of the inefficiency, but better to tack on a man day than risk this happening again! Even better is the lock box. $30 billed as materials and problem solved!

sbcontracting: This woman is notorious for her skewed reality and unreasonable behavior. Just mentioning her name to those who are familiar gets you a couple good laughs and stories!

2 keys have gone missing on my watch and she admittedly took the first for some paranoid reason. She then refused to give the key back!! In less than a few hours after the last person hid key #2 it was missing. She runs the hotel next door and is the only one who could see! I can't say for sure she's the culprit but the coincidence is striking...

Honestly I hope she took the key! At least then I would know where it is. She's not dangerous just oblivious.

Regardless, I can point a finger but the keys are my responsibility... It is my job to make sure this never happens again!

#23 ·
We use lock boxes made by master lock. We have about a dozen at any given time.
During major renovations, we will put a construction lock set on then change it back when we're done.
Also, something I learned something from a locksmith, you can key a lock so a key will unlock a knob but not the dead bolt, yet a master key will unlock both. That way when the HO knows your coming, they leave the dead bolt unlocked, and when your not supposed to be there they lock the deadbolt and you can't get in. The locksmith said most people do this for cleaning people. Alot of alarms work that way also.

#24 ·
We usually get garage door codes. The HO can usually set up a temporary code, or just change it after we leave. That gives me an idea however:

If they don't have a keypad, Just get yourself a universal wireless keypad for their garage door and set it up. They're only about $30, so it's not a huge expense. Also, I think there are only 2-3 types that you'd ever need to have to cover all the major brands, and you could just set one up for each job, stuff it in the mailbox at night and then take it with you when you were done. OR, you could throw it in with the job and let them keep it and change the passcode afterwards.

#25 ·
I keep them in my ashtray, it's getting pretty full.

Had a major run around with a condo owner not wanting me in his unit so I could turn the water off to another unit. Sent my favorite customer on them (a lawyer) and finally got the key after getting bs'd around for 2 days. I then promptly told them I wasn't giving it back for 6 weeks. That didn't go over well.

I've got a notebook full of garage codes too, the problem is I can't write the address next to the code so I need to create a code name or something to go with it.

I suppose if someone were to get ahold of my keys codes master keys etc. You could easily collect 200 flat screen tvs mostly high end.......................

#26 ·
Well, I presented the lock box idea and they're on order! I'm not sure what model admin decided on, but each foreman is getting one to carry and a few for office use. Thanks for the help!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.