Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I'm the only the employee in my company. I have a hidden place in the office for all my keys. However, each key is labeled with a code that only I know how to decipher. That way if the office or my van were ever to get broken into, no one could just take the keys and go on a spree.

How does everyone else label their keys?
I have only first name with last initial on my keys. The chances of losing a key for me is pretty slim.

And I normally have more than one key for each residence I take care of.

I was out of control with the amount of keys I've had. You have to label every one or it gets crazy.

Actually I need to go through all my keys now, it's getting crazy. :laughing:

Security/garage door codes are a little trickier.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Griz: You are spot on! The last thing we need is for our clients to question our responsibility especially when
they trust us/me with their vacation homes! I'm pretty much the only employee who has access to all of our clients' homes without question.

I've discussed this with my PM (who has to tuck his tail and inform the HOers in these cases). He's afraid of the inefficiency, but better to tack on a man day than risk this happening again! Even better is the lock box. $30 billed as materials and problem solved!

sbcontracting: This woman is notorious for her skewed reality and unreasonable behavior. Just mentioning her name to those who are familiar gets you a couple good laughs and stories!

2 keys have gone missing on my watch and she admittedly took the first for some paranoid reason. She then refused to give the key back!! In less than a few hours after the last person hid key #2 it was missing. She runs the hotel next door and is the only one who could see! I can't say for sure she's the culprit but the coincidence is striking...

Honestly I hope she took the key! At least then I would know where it is. She's not dangerous just oblivious.

Regardless, I can point a finger but the keys are my responsibility... It is my job to make sure this never happens again!

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
We use lock boxes made by master lock. We have about a dozen at any given time.
During major renovations, we will put a construction lock set on then change it back when we're done.
Also, something I learned something from a locksmith, you can key a lock so a key will unlock a knob but not the dead bolt, yet a master key will unlock both. That way when the HO knows your coming, they leave the dead bolt unlocked, and when your not supposed to be there they lock the deadbolt and you can't get in. The locksmith said most people do this for cleaning people. Alot of alarms work that way also.

·
Wearer of Hats
341 Posts
We usually get garage door codes. The HO can usually set up a temporary code, or just change it after we leave. That gives me an idea however:

If they don't have a keypad, Just get yourself a universal wireless keypad for their garage door and set it up. They're only about $30, so it's not a huge expense. Also, I think there are only 2-3 types that you'd ever need to have to cover all the major brands, and you could just set one up for each job, stuff it in the mailbox at night and then take it with you when you were done. OR, you could throw it in with the job and let them keep it and change the passcode afterwards.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I keep them in my ashtray, it's getting pretty full.

Had a major run around with a condo owner not wanting me in his unit so I could turn the water off to another unit. Sent my favorite customer on them (a lawyer) and finally got the key after getting bs'd around for 2 days. I then promptly told them I wasn't giving it back for 6 weeks. That didn't go over well.

I've got a notebook full of garage codes too, the problem is I can't write the address next to the code so I need to create a code name or something to go with it.

I suppose if someone were to get ahold of my keys codes master keys etc. You could easily collect 200 flat screen tvs mostly high end.......................

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I presented the lock box idea and they're on order! I'm not sure what model admin decided on, but each foreman is getting one to carry and a few for office use. Thanks for the help!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts