Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am finishing up a little project for myself and got to wondering what hobbies do you have that intertwine with tradework?

I am a reptile collector, i currently only have 2 snakes though. When the bubble popped a few years ago i actually paid the bills for 2 years by carving up reptile hide rocks out of eps styrofaoam and coating them with floor grout, custom cages (made about 8 or so), breeding bearded dragons, and buying and selling various animals of opportunity..(someone has to get rid of their 12' Burmese python or large monitor and will take 50 for it then I'd sell them for 150 and up...best i ever did was 40 for a 5' Argentine boa at a show and sold it at another show the next day....18 hours later for 225)

Anyway I built myself a snake enclosure. 3/4" birch plywood sides and top, 3/4" sanded select pine for rear panel, and solid hickory face frame. Will have sliding glass doors, has 3- 3" xenon undercabinet pucklights on a touchpad dimmer in each unit, and built in belly heaters on dimmer switches to fine tune the hotspot temp. And also drop celing eggcrate grid to.keep the snakes off the lights and out of the wiring, will make it a real pain to change the bulbs though...thank god for a long life bulb.

If nothing else this is a damn nice cabinet weather you like snakes and lizards or not...lol

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about it but would rather have the 1x8 screwed to a continuous piece of 3/4 ply on the ends than the 2 1x2's used for floor and celing framing holding it stable i guess if that makes sense

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So nobody makes jewelry boxes, or timber furniture, or anything like that?

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
I built a door for my house. Finally decided to use the VG Fir I've been hauling around since I moved from Canada 5 years ago. No one paid me to do it and I had lots of fun making it, so I guess that counts as a hobby? Hobbies are what you do when you have a long weekend, right?

Now I just have to tear out that carpet on the inside and put down some tile, make a proper cabinet for the shoes, fix up the exterior siding and trim....

(Still waiting for the glass to come in.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I built reptile enclosures and now a large cat tree, but the cat tree isn't quite finished yet, and, I have one temp iguana enclosure that we've been using until I can build a modular unit.

I have built quite a few custom enclosures in the past when I had: 3 - green iguanas, 1 - red tegu, 1 - savannah monitor, 1- black throated monitor (45lbs, 5.5 ft long), 1 - golden tegu...not all at once, but usually 4 animals at a time....I still have a 16 year old iguana.

The thing is, I learned how to build these with all the heaters and lights out of necessity. As an electrician, I had all the lights, heaters, fans and temp controls, etc. all dialed in. Carpentry wise....they were ok...also, found plexiglass to be quite useful.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I have free time for hobbies i rarely use the same tools as I do at work. My CT name may give away my hobby. I did spruce up my race trailer pretty nice. When Im not onsite I avoid the van.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I once built a home for a lizard....used flagstone scraps to built it a nice floor.

More recently, I've been building cat trees.

That's sweet! My wife has been bugging me to build some kind of 'tree' for Stupid Cat (Actually his name is Cujo - For GOOD reason :laughing:). That looks really nice and much better than those carpeted pieces of crap like she wants.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts