Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably not many of you guys have a sprinter but there is a grill kit where the mercedes emblem can be put on the front/rear of the dodge sprinter (b/c it IS a mercedes van). What do you think the ramifications of arriving on the jobsite with a 'mercedes' would be?

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I got estimates on my new heating system, one of the plumbers rolled up in an X5. Oddly enough he was the most expensive bid by about 20%. He had a flashy presentation, color brochures, laptop and portable printer setup, cellular internet, etc.

While it was impressive, I didn't think it justified a 20% price premium, and I ended up hiring the guy with dirty hands driving a work van.

When the market was hot, my friends in Cali said that you almost had to pull up in flashy wheels to get the job.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
People and this false image :no:. I have had folks think that i just drive old trucks, what they dont realize that more often than not my truck cost more than their vehicle. This has surprised alot of customers when we talk vehicles and i tell them what my trucks cost. If i really had to worry about an image with a high price vehicle then i would just buy a used Mercedes, detail it and drive that to do estimates. I know i can buy a late 90's to early 2000 Merc for around $10k. Even then i would have to wonder about the type of folks i would be working for. Here is a 1999 Merc for $7k http://www.lemonfree.com/42803305.html , so would this "cheap" car make me and my business any better?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
People and this false image :no:. I have had folks think that i just drive old trucks, what they dont realize that more often than not my truck cost more than their vehicle. This has surprised alot of customers when we talk vehicles and i tell them what my trucks cost. If i really had to worry about an image with a high price vehicle then i would just buy a used Mercedes, detail it and drive that to do estimates. I know i can buy a late 90's to early 2000 Merc for around $10k. Even then i would have to wonder about the type of folks i would be working for. Here is a 1999 Merc for $7k http://www.lemonfree.com/42803305.html , so would this "cheap" car make me and my business any better?

That's totally true and funny.

I've always found it funny when somebody would say, wow, look at that, he has a Mercedes, Porsche, Jag... and I look at it and it's a 20 year old model with 150,000 miles on it, worth about $10,000.00.

Somehow an old worthless version of a luxury brand has more wow to it then somebody who just bought a brand new $25,000 Hyundai. :laughing:

·
Registered
470 Posts
When I bought my 2003 Sprinter, my customers were happy I could retire my 1994 Step Van, which I continued to use for resturant work. They would comment how much money I was making to afford a new van. I smiled said it was a Mercedes and their share of this months payment was......... They always laughed and told me to get to work. but 99% of our customers are commercial and they know you have to upgrade once in while. They also know the quality of our work, and that there are cheaper contractors out there. If they want cheap, they are probably not our customer.

When I got the 2005, they wanted to know where the other MB was, I said it went to Jon, my lead tech.

One of my Sprinter says Dodge and the Freightliner. When I need a new hood and grille, I may upgrade to the MB logos, probably not.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Nice ride PWG:thumbsup: (It's an olds or buick though...)

Mercedes truck line doesn't strike me as 'luxury' like the cars do.

IMO, it's more like 'smart'

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Shame they dont do a CKD kit for the Vito. Now thats a nice van. Bit smaller than the sprinter but lovely to drive. I thought that Merc had pulled the Kits from Dodge so that they could start selling them in the US their self? Might be able to get the Vito when they get around to taking over the sales again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
we do 100% commerical we have a few plain jane white pick ups and a couple of flat bed trucks, last friday night i ended up down at the hardware store at 9.30pm loading 1/2in ply onto my ski racks on my Merc ML500,

it was urgent job which we only got at 4pm. job at to be done by 7 am saturday and we ran short a few sheets, all i could think was lucky i brought my ski racks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
probably not many of you guys have a sprinter but there is a grill kit where the mercedes emblem can be put on the front/rear of the dodge sprinter (b/c it IS a mercedes van). What do you think the ramifications of arriving on the jobsite with a 'mercedes' would be?

I would say it depends on the part of the country your customers live in. This being GM country, with the GM plant recently closing down the road in Janesville, people are somewhat sensitive to your placed loyalty.

I have little doubt that a Mercedes emblem would occasionally bite me.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just read that MB is taking over sales of the sprinter so it's going to officially be the MB Sprinter vs the Dodge Sprinter-casualty of the financial crisis.

·
Registered
440 Posts
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/sprinter.html

Mercedes-Benz To Integrate Sprinter Operations Into U.S. And Canadian Subsidiary
  • Formation of Daimler Vans USA, LLC
  • Focus on two-brand strategy: Established Sprinter commercial vehicles will be available under the Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner brands
  • Return of Mercedes-Benz brand of commercial vehicles to U.S. and Canadian Market
MONTVALE, N.J., -- Mercedes-Benz USA announced today that it will assume responsibility for the sales, marketing, distribution and service of Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Sprinter commercial vehicles in the United States. Central to the announcement is the creation of Daimler Vans USA, LLC -- located in Montvale, NJ -- a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. The Dodge Sprinter will be discontinued.
Daimler Vans USA, LLC combines the brand awareness and technology leadership of Mercedes-Benz with the commercial vehicle expertise of Freightliner. The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter also marks the official return of the three-pointed star to the U.S. and Canadian light duty commercial vehicle market. Delivery of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter to dealers and customers will begin in January 2010.
Introduced in North America in 2001, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter has developed a successful following with more than 130,000 Sprinter vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada. The Sprinter in the U.S. and Canada is offered in three vehicle lengths on two wheelbases with three GVWRs (gross vehicle weight rating). With a line-up of cargo vans, passenger vans and chassis cab models, it also offers two roof heights. Powered by an efficient 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel engine, standard equipment includes ADAPTIVE ESP. Taking electronic stability programs to the next level, ADAPTIVE ESP features additional sensors that take into consideration vehicle payload, further reducing the risk of skidding and loss of control.
"The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter set standards in the sector for safety, customization and environmental responsibility and we are proud to offer this product in the U.S. market under the three-pointed-Star," said Ernst Lieb, President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA. "We are looking forward to integrating the Sprinter business into the Mercedes-Benz Canada infrastructure. As the most technologically advanced and versatile commercial vehicle on the market, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter will offer Canadian businesses a reliable and intelligent transportation solution for their goods and/or services," said Marcus Breitschwerdt, President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Canada. "Our strong dealer network will be ready and properly equipped to support this additional brand, and I am confident that they will meet the needs of this important market and represent the Sprinter with the same passion and enthusiasm displayed towards our other brands."
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/09/mercedes-benz-to-integrate-sprinter-into-us-ops/

Mercedes-Benz USA LLC announced today (Sept. 1) that it will assume responsibility for the sales, marketing, distribution and service of Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Sprinter commercial vehicles in the United States.
Central to the announcement is the creation of Daimler Vans USA LLC — located in Montvale, N.J. — a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler AG. The Dodge Sprinter will be discontinued.
Daimler Vans USA LLC combines the brand awareness and technology leadership of Mercedes-Benz with the commercial vehicle expertise of Freightliner. The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter also marks the official return of the three-pointed star to the U.S. and Canadian light-duty commercial vehicle market. Delivery of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter to dealers and customers will begin in January 2010.
Introduced in North America in 2001, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter has developed a successful following with more than 130,000 Sprinter vehicles sold in the U.S. and Canada. The Sprinter in the U.S. and Canada is offered in three vehicle lengths on two wheelbases with three GVWRs (gross vehicle weight rating). With a line-up of cargo vans, passenger vans and chassis cab models, it also offers two roof heights. Powered by an efficient 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel engine, standard equipment includes ADAPTIVE ESP. ADAPTIVE ESP features additional sensors that take into consideration vehicle payload, further reducing the risk of skidding and loss of control.
“The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter set standards in the sector for safety, customization and environmental responsibility and we are proud to offer this product in the U.S. market under the three-pointed-Star,” said Ernst Lieb, president and CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA.
The Sprinter has been on sale in the U.S. since 2001. Manufactured in Germany and assembled in Charleston, S.C., it has established a firm commercial customer base of small business owners, fleet managers and van buyers, looking for more than just a work vehicle — powered by clean and efficient turbo diesel engines.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20090902/COPY/309029996/1317/mobile&template=art4

MONTVALE, N.J. -- Mercedes-Benz USA is getting back into the commercial van business Jan. 1 and will appoint up to 120 dealers to sell Sprinter vehicles.
That means Mercedes will yank the Sprinter from nearly 350 Dodge dealers who now carry the van.
The vans will be sold by the newly created Daimler Vans USA, which is sharing headquarters with the car division here.
Contracts will be terminated by Jan. 1 with the nearly 350 Dodge dealers who sell most of Daimler’s Sprinter vans in the United States. The Dodge version of the Sprinter will be discontinued, said Ernst Lieb, CEO of MB USA.
Dodge has been selling the Sprinter since 2003.
About 45 Freightliner dealers who have the Sprinter franchise will continue to sell the Sprinter as a Freightliner, Lieb said. Beginning 2010, Sprinters sold by Mercedes-Benz dealers in the United States and Canada will be branded as Mercedes vehicles.
In January, the Sprinter will be launched with a 3.0-liter, V-6 common rail diesel that currently is used in the Mercedes-Benz M and GL SUVs and sold in all 50-states.
Freightliner or Dodge
When Daimler launched the Sprinter in the United States in 2001, it was branded either a Freightliner or a Dodge because U.S. buyers didn’t know the vehicle, said Lieb.
“It has now established itself,” he said.
Claus Tritt has been appointed general manager of the new van unit. He previously worked at the van division for the now-defunct DaimlerChrysler in Auburn Hills.
The Sprinter is assembled at a semi-knockdown factory in Ladsen, S. C., which has a capacity of 32,000 units a year, said Tritt.
Freightliner dealers who also handle Daimler’s commercial vehicles in the United States have a separate Sprinter franchise. They account for about 30 percent of Sprinter sales.
That means U.S. Mercedes dealers could sell about 18,000 Sprinters annually.
Lieb said Mercedes-Benz will approach dealers about taking the Sprinter franchise “based on their potential in the market.”
Said Lieb: “We are dealing with a product that has been sold for nine years here, so we know where it sells best and in what market we can pinpoint where we need a dealer.”
Dodge dealership impact
Dodge Sprinter sales peaked in 2006 when Dodge sold 21,961 units. Dodge sold 14,600 in 2008.
Earl Hesterberg, chairman of Houston-based Group 1 Automotive Inc., said the departure of the Sprinter would hurt revenue on at least one of his company's eight Chrysler stores -- Rancho Chrysler Jeep Dodge in San Diego, which does a large business servicing them.
“It will create a challenge for us at at least one of our dealerships due to lost parts and service business,” he said.
However, Hesterberg said sales of Sprinters has been slow because big customers like FedEx and DHL buy their vehicles direct from Chrysler and there has been no financing available for small business owners in need of such a van.
“They had the proper configuration of vehicle, which is the walk-in box and they had a diesel engine with automatic transmission," he said. "DHL, Fed Ex and UPS have committed to that configuration.”
Chrysler’s new management team, headed by Sergio Marchionne who is also CEO of Fiat, is studying the idea of bringing Fiat-based commercial vehicles into North America to fill the hole left by the Sprinter’s departure.
The Sprinter is sold only in Dodge dealerships that have a franchise called BusinessLink. Those dealerships have special tools and service bays equipped to service the Sprinter and other Dodge commercial vehicles.
About 80 percent of Sprinters are sold east of the Mississippi River, said Daimler's Tritt.
The average dealer would have to invest $30,000 to $50,000 in the Sprinter franchise and put up a sign, dedicate service and sales personnel and purchase some special tools and equipment, said Lieb.
Mercedes-Benz would not require a separate facility for the display of Sprinters, but they won’t be on the showroom floor with passenger cars or light trucks. Dealers can dedicate part of their outside lot and “it could be a roofed area -- that is how we did it in other countries,” said Lieb.
Lieb said he will lay out the van plan to potential dealers in early October. They will be asked to stay an extra day after a regular dealer meeting in Denver

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
MB just took it back from Dodge. 2010 models will either be Freightliner or MB.
Same thing, but I guarantee you the MB will cost more. You will never find a Dodge or Freightliner part on any Sprinter. Even the emblems & grills are made by MB.
BTW, my Sprinter has been re- badged as MB for over 2 years now. It certainly hasn't hurt my business any. I occasionally get the lame comment of: "Oh, a Mercedes. I'm not sure that I can afford you?".
Steve

I just read that MB is taking over sales of the sprinter so it's going to officially be the MB Sprinter vs the Dodge Sprinter-casualty of the financial crisis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sprinter

Hi, Im looking to buy an 2008 sprinter any pros or cons as to why I should not buy one. Feedback would be much apreciated

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Forget that chicken with his leg up in the air. You ARE in the right place. If someone here can ask about a Chevy or Ford, they can just as well ask about a Sprinter.
My Sprinter is a 2006 model. Not quite as large as a 2008 model, but there is more room in the engine compartment & this is one of the easiest vehicles I have ever worked on. The 2008 has quite a bit more room inside the van than mine, though the engine comartment seems pretty cramped. I hear the they ride much nicer than my model. I would have never purchased one of these if I was not willing to service it myself. It would cost far too much otherwise. Oil changes are every 12K miles, transmission service is 80K miles. I have stocked up alot of parts over the last two years at good internet prices, so as to keep my costs down.
My business would suffer without this van. It has much more usable space in it than does the American vans, plus a consistant 20-24 mpg's.
The 2007/2008 had some EGR issues, but I think they have been worked out now. For the best info go to Sprinter-Forum.com.
Steve

Hi, Im looking to buy an 2008 sprinter any pros or cons as to why I should not buy one. Feedback would be much apreciated

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have an 05 sprinter, and get jobs and compliments all the time just in traffic, people call me and ask if i do this or that! gas milage is awsome i have a 3500 shc and average 20 city 25 highway. at one piont diesel hit $5 a gallon here in NJ, it cost me $200-250 a month in gas, and i was driving about 100 miles a day easy!:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Wow! I sure like that color!
Mine is boring white. One of these days I'll get some stripes or get it two toned to break up the monotony.
Steve

I have an 05 sprinter, and get jobs and compliments all the time just in traffic, people call me and ask if i do this or that! gas milage is awsome i have a 3500 shc and average 20 city 25 highway. at one piont diesel hit $5 a gallon here in NJ, it cost me $200-250 a month in gas, and i was driving about 100 miles a day easy!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts