Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So if a local building dept employee is out to dinner one night and his daughter in law says "we are going to redo our bathroom" you think the guy will say " I can't recommend anyone it's unethical"? Be realistic. I don't think his recommendation is unethical unless he benefits from the referral.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I an given a heads up occasionally, there is not many folks who can pull of jobs of any size locally, I still have to find a way to connect with the project, get invited to bid, then win the bid, yes it nets occasional jobs but 90 percent of our work is referrals from clients, just nice to score a gem here and there that would typically be awarded to out of the area folks. I firmly believe in keeping it local, tho it is nice to learn new technologies, building practices and so on from my more up to date city living brethren.
To survive you have to create opportunities...see a need fill a need.... and all that jazz

·
Super Moderator
46,529 Posts
parkers5150 said:
having a "Bone Thrown" your way does not make you an unethical contractor
No but it makes the municipality an unethical Muni. IMO. So if someone is giving me work that is unethical and I know it, what does it make me?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
So if a local building dept employee is out to dinner one night and his daughter in law says "we are going to redo our bathroom" you think the guy will say " I can't recommend anyone it's unethical"? Be realistic. I don't think his recommendation is unethical unless he benefits from the referral.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

We are not talking about his family, we are talking about the general public. We are also talking about getting a heads up from the clerk. It is public information, so if procrpntr wants that info, he can go look it up. Not receive calls from the muni, on the muni's phone during muni business hours

·
Super Moderator
46,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
a painting contractor friend of mine says he tells the client.
"If I am able to cut large numbers out your price, that means I was ripping you off to start with, and I wasn't" He then just like to watch their face.
no it means you were selling ( note selling not working) at higher profit margins and were offering a temporary discount of standard rates to attract new clients.

Besides making a good check a business is supposed to profit as well.
How much profit and what it needs to support are 2 different numbers.

treat it like a job its may be overpriced,.,treat it as a business and its profiting.

just my 2 cents

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
no it means you were selling ( note selling not working) at higher profit margins and were offering a temporary discount of standard rates to attract new clients.

Besides making a good check a business is supposed to profit as well.
How much profit and what it needs to support are 2 different numbers.

treat it like a job its may be overpriced,.,treat it as a business and its profiting.

just my 2 cents
I like you Man! You make my grammar look good!:laughing:

121 - 133 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.