Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Work is work. It's not a Miss Congeniality contest. You don't have to be "nice" to get jobs, just professional and courteous. Appear to be knowledgeable, explain why you are the best choice for the job, and be firm and set the rules. You gave in and started playing by the HO's rules, and he's using it to his advantage.

"I'm sorry, I don't break down quotes as I find that gives homeowners a false view of what it would cost were you to do the jobs separately. You're getting the "project discount" now. If I have to bid the jobs as separate projects, then I will have more overhead for coming to the job site so many times and you'll see that reflected in higher quotes to separate the jobs out."

If you haven't had a GC job since October, perhaps you ought to take a look at some of the marketing posts. Or just do some old fashioned cold calling of your past customers.That's where your future jobs will lie, not with these doofuses that you're fooling around with. You did send them Christmas cards with a couple of your business cards enclosed, right? Or give them a call thanking them for their business this year? Offer to give them a small referral for connecting you with family or friends that have projects coming up? If you're not getting referrals from past customers, it's time to find out why. NOW.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I don't believe any city would open themselves up like that without any gain for themselves.
It's a very locale-specific thing.
Have either of you gentlemen traveled in the Southern US? Things like that are done frequently in small Southern towns. Not saying it's ethical, just that it's part of the way good ole boys have operated forever down here. And the locals don't take kindly to the suggestions (from anyone) to abandon their long held traditions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.