Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently went to give an estimate on a 8'x14' deck floor approx. 7"off the ground just a simple floor deck attached 2 sides to the homes frame.I quoted the job complete turn key for under 1k.I was told it was too high and they wanted to find someone cheaper.I normally blow these HO off after that but this guy really got under my skin for some reason.I have started to find that more HO I supply estimates too are looking for the cheapest price they can have the work done for.
I have all my insurance, pay my subs,gaurantee my workmanship for a year and figure very little margin on this sort of job(5%).I just don't understand what these people want these days.The damn material alone was almost half that estimate.Oh well....have a good week everyone...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,718 Posts
Just walk away, you don't need or want this type of customer. Materials alone are probably 1/2 that cost.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I don't know if this would have helped in this case or not, but a standard question in our first visit is "How will you know when you've found the right contractor for this project?" If the answer is lowest price I explain that it probably won't be us and try to excuse myself.

If the answer is "the best price", ask how they determine that.

When the answer involves best quality or reliability, etc. my ears perk up and I go to work.

The idea is to try and flush out the price shoppers and let some one else waste their time instead of you.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
42 Posts
Man, my quote for a deck like that would be $2500 to $3,000. I'm surprised they didn't jump all over less than $1K. You can't win em all. Try qualifying your cients more so you don't waste time. Try charging for estimates, that really helps weed out the price shoppers.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Far too many think, due to today's economy, we're more than willing to work for peanuts just to keep busy.

Politely thank them for their time, and never look back.

Reactions: wallmaxx

·
Design Build
8,326 Posts
I recently went to give an estimate on a 8'x14' deck floor approx. 7"off the ground just a simple floor deck attached 2 sides to the homes frame.I quoted the job complete turn key for under 1k.I was told it was too high and they wanted to find someone cheaper.I normally blow these HO off after that but this guy really got under my skin for some reason.I have started to find that more HO I supply estimates too are looking for the cheapest price they can have the work done for.
I have all my insurance, pay my subs, guarantee my workmanship for a year and figure very little margin on this sort of job(5%).I just don't understand what these people want these days.The damn material alone was almost half that estimate.Oh well....have a good week everyone...
Hey Dry

I have family just SW of Tyler. If by your contact info, central Texas is close to there, they say building in that area is somewhat steady. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
669 Posts
wow only 1k ... I could stay home and go broke.

They might call you back, but I wouldn't call them, so just keep looking elsewhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wouldn't even consider building that deck for under 1K. I had someone call me and ask me if I would build them a 16 x 40 deck with composite decking and railing for under 10k. I almost laughed at them while they where still on the phone. I don't know how you can build a 8 x 14 deck that cheap correctly. I think your way under bidding them, you might want to revisit your pricing methods.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
keep the hacks working.

real businesses need to make a decent profit. Sucks- having to go over there and waste gas , take measurements, talk to them and try to convince them to buy today, etc., and in reality, all they wanted was to waste your time...everyone thinks estimates are free, but we know otherwise. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't even consider building that deck for under 1K. I had someone call me and ask me if I would build them a 16 x 40 deck with composite decking and railing for under 10k. I almost laughed at them while they where still on the phone. I don't know how you can build a 8 x 14 deck that cheap correctly. I think your way under bidding them, you might want to revisit your pricing methods.

I only went to look at this little BS job to keep 2 guys busy for a day,they are good workers who like some live week to week, while we waited on permits for a commercial job starting Tuesday.It was so simple a job, no hand rails, no steps, just a floor attacahed to the house about 7" off the driveway.basically they walk out the door onto the deck then onto the driveway.A one day job at most...maybe i should have been more clear...I think under 1k was very fair, all 2x6 framing with hangers,easy as pie.:clap:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
You are building the deck for under 1K? From the price I assumed it was a refinish or maybe labor only to reskin an existing. Good luck with them folks, I'd cross them off my list of potentials. Staying home to go broke is more cost effective.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I only went to look at this little BS job to keep 2 guys busy for a day,they are good workers who like some live week to week, while we waited on permits for a commercial job starting Tuesday.It was so simple a job, no hand rails, no steps, just a floor attacahed to the house about 7" off the driveway.basically they walk out the door onto the deck then onto the driveway.A one day job at most...maybe i should have been more clear...I think under 1k was very fair, all 2x6 framing with hangers,easy as pie.:clap:
This I'm sure is the same reason the homeowner has multiple options to choose from. Too many tradesman with the "just to keep 2 guys busy for a day" mentality.

Craigslist? Smells like it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've lost a few decks to a framer that does decks "just to keep his guys busy" b/t framing houses.
no way I would do them for the price he does them for but they do build a nice deck if that matters

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I don't know if this would have helped in this case or not, but a standard question in our first visit is "How will you know when you've found the right contractor for this project?" If the answer is lowest price I explain that it probably won't be us and try to excuse myself.

If the answer is "the best price", ask how they determine that.

When the answer involves best quality or reliability, etc. my ears perk up and I go to work.

The idea is to try and flush out the price shoppers and let some one else waste their time instead of you.

Good Luck
Dave

I will definitely keep that in mind for next time. I priced a service upgrade I mentioned in a different thread and I have yet to hear back from these people. They said they wanted it done "soon" so I told them I could it this Thursday. People suck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts