Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering.....
How well will stain cover prepainted wood.

Im doing a fence for a customer painted with exterior latex white. The customer wants a solid stain. For solid stains, I use Shermin Williams Woodscapes, self priming solid stain.

Yet i know that stain somewhat soakes into wood. I know I might have trouble just doing a re-paint without stripping the entire fence. Yet cost is an issue with the customer.

Anyone know of some short cuts, or tricks of the trade I dont know, or am I really just kidding myself?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a few customers in last summer doing the same thing, the latex paint they were using just wouldn't stay on a fence for long so I suggested pressure washing to get as much as possible off and an application of our Latex Solid Stain (white) and its holding up quite well. They did manage to blast off about 75% of the old paint prior to staining and the maintenance in the years to come will be far less involved as the remaining paint decides to let go. We get some pretty harsh winters and painted fences are not a good plan here for sure. We have had a lot of deck conversions to stains as well, tell them to pressure wash first, brush on stripper to the remaining stuck on paint and then pressure wash again..... then stain with a semi or solid oil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Josh, like Mark said harsh weather is not good for painted fences! get off as much paint as you can with your power washer then by hand or a palm sander. allow to dry 48 hours then apply Benjamin Moore oil based primer get it tinted to at least half. then use the latex solid body stain from benjamin moore also. make sure you work in the right temp range and try to avoid mid day sun. good luck, dave

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Just a question here, but isn't the difference between a stain and a paint just the amount of solids in it? A stain having less solids so the grain and character of the wood shows through and a paint having much more solids so it covers or coats the wood.

It that is true what the hell is a "latex solid body stain" other than just paint?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts